Better linux OS for the post description pc specifications

ascampli

Reaction score
Credits
Hewlett-Packard Motherboard Manufacturer; 0830h Product Name Motherboard; ; AMD Athlon(tm) processor Processor Name, NVIDIA Corporation C17 (GeForce MX IGP) (rev a3) integrated graphics, 1.16 RAM GB i386 compatible cpu

Last edited:

I'm going to start with a link that's still applicable, but not as applicable.

Now, in your case you need to dig down into the search results at Distrowatch to find a distro that supports 32 bit and has a low RAM requirement. Once you narrow that down, and it's a fairly small list these days, you can go through trying stuff until you're happy.

I did do an experiment with LMDE 4 on some old hardware - and it was slow but ran just fine, so long as I lived within reasonable limits. Finding a decent modern browser wasn't easy, but Vivaldi came through for me with a 32 bit version that had all the features I'd expect.

I'd not have more than a tab or three open at a time, but it was very much a useful OS with a little patience. LMDE 4 has the Cinnamon desktop environment which is really quite heavy, but not too bad if you don't install the desklets and applets.

i386 compatible cpu
I am confused, the HP d325 usually comes with an AMD athalon64 bit processor built as a business desktop it falls short in the RAM department, coming with anything from 500mb to 2 Gb ram as standard [from memory the MB will take up to 4 gb in 2x2Gb sticks]
most amdx86 grade processors from this era are I386 backwards compatible

Last edited:
32-bit antiX with a pagefile is another alternative

Most any distro with a DE will slow it down too much, IMO.

With those specs this would be my choice.

Have a look under installation media at system requirements.
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 256MB RAM / 3GB disk

I suggest using the Trinity DE as you can see the system hardware requirements are quite low.

I am confused, the HP d325 usually comes with an AMD athalon64 bit processor built as a business desktop it falls short in the RAM department, coming with anything from 500mb to 2 Gb ram as standard [from memory the MB will take up to 4 gb in 2x2Gb sticks]
most amdx86 grade processors from this era are I386 backwards compatible
i corrected my pc specifications; please check again

i corrected my pc specifications; please check again
Yep as I thought that should be 64 bit if you increase the ram to 2gb you should be able to run most distributions, as a start I would try a "live" run of Linux Mint but with the lighter weight XFCE desktop.It won't run at full speed with the amount of ram you have, but it will confirm [or not] that it can run a full installation.

Last edited:
@ascampli -- do as the Mint fanbois say or use antiX without having to add hardware. Your choice.

Or one can always go Slackware 32bit. It and antiX will almost always work on older limited-resource machines that the popular distros run like molasses on.

@ascampli -- do as the Mint fanbois say or use antiX without having to add hardware. Your choice.
Instead of shouting your obvious dislike of Ubuntu based distributions, why do you not read the previous post first, and understand what we are trying to achieve

The title says it all.
Make fun of MY distro choice -- I will not get upset.
I'm just answering the OP's inquiry as it is stated.

While it may be at least somewhat a matter of opinion, the fact of which distro will give the best performance on the hardware listed is not up to debate. Given the OP's lack of detail as to what use the machine in question will be put to, I could be on the wrong track but I do not think so. He could be, like some, more interested in superficial things like eye candy. In that case, I will stand corrected by the OP only.

BTW, I would not recommend a distro I have not tried myself.

I have run Refracta Linux on various machines based on Devuan Linux with xfce desktop as an option. Uses little resources.

In the end you'll find what you like best of luck ascampli.

Or one can always go Slackware 32bit. It and antiX will almost always work on older limited-resource machines that the popular distros run like molasses on.
I don't recommend Slackware for users that are new to Linux.
Anti-X is a good choice for older machines, I agree.

For the people that saw my first specifications and didn´t notice they changed; i changed them ; and i want to add if you need a Pentium 4 PC to run LXLE Linux OS based on my pc specifications my pc can run it ?

P4 with 2GB RAM? Some P4s are better than others, but if limited to 32 bit distro choices go down.

Pentium 4
The P4 was the equivalent of the AMD K5, you have an AMD Athlon 7th series AMD CPU as I said before it is a 64 bit processor refer back to my post #9

Members online