[closed] chromium

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi all,

you're not going to believe 1 word of what i'm saying but its true :(

in chromium 123.0.6312.86 (Official Build), when i try and watch a video on youtube, it doesn't show the video, it only plays the audio

in firefox AND chrome it works

what could possibly be the problem

the internet said this is a common problem with chromium and chrome.

i cannot believe that chromium cannot do the simplest thing in the world

thx for reading :)

hi gainesville

thanks for your prompt response.

both of those are too complicated for me to figure out so i won't waste everyones time in trying to

so lets do this - why use chromium over chrome

thx

1. can you be tracked by google if you don't use gmail email?

2. chrome and chromium are the same company. so if you use chromium you are being tracked the same amount as if you used chrome

1. can you be tracked by google if you don't use gmail email?

2. chrome and chromium are the same company. so if you use chromium you are being tracked the same amount as if you used chrome
1) yes - it is called Browser Profiling and Geo-location from your IP address - https://nullsweep.com/how-to-detect-if-a-browser-plugin-is-spying-on-you/
2) they are not the same company Google Chrome uses Chromium as it's base and modifies it from there, just like Bing Browser does it is a modified Chromium because Chromium is FOSS (Free Open Source Software)

Hmm... I watch YouTube in Chromium pretty much every day. I just install it from the repos.

What distro are you using?

How did you install Chromium?

If you want to use YouTube without tracking, look up 'Invidious'.

@GatorsFan :-

Sorry to have to correct your assertion, but Chromium and Chrome ARE both from the same company.....Big Brother. They ARE, however, treated as being developed by independent organizations (see below).

When the browser was being developed between 2006 to 2008, there was NO differentiation. From the Wikipedia article on Chrome:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Most of Chrome's source code comes from Google's free and open-source software project Chromium, but Chrome is licensed as proprietary freeware.

Chrome is based on the open-source code of the Chromium project. Development of the browser began in 2006, spearheaded by Sundar Pichai. Chrome was "largely developed" in Google's Kitchener office.

Google set-up the Chromium Project as a completely independent organization, in order to forestall any outcry against closed-source, proprietary code.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

All the "cutting-edge" development work takes place at the Chromium Project itself. The Project has what amounts to a fleet of semi-autonomous bots, which constantly "slipstream" patches that are sent in, round the clock, from the global army of contributory devs working on the Project, and churn out build after updated build, 24/7, non-stop. (Better than 95% of these builds never make it into the public domain, being put together purely for testing & evaluation purposes).

The "oversight" committee at Google's offices monitor the Project closely, several times a day. As soon as a "stable" build is identified, around the time-frame allotted for the next regular update, the committee will alert the browser team. These then grab the source code for that specific build, add the Google-approved "proprietary' bits & re-compile it themselves against a rather older build environment.

This last does have method behind its seeming madness. Chromium is always built against the very newest versions of everything.......but Google deliberately re-compile Chrome against older components for one simple reason; because not everybody religiously updates their systems the instant updates appear. John & Jane Doe, when left to their own devices, wouldn't bother with updating at all, so building the browser this way makes sure it remains available to - and usable by - the greatest number of people worldwide.......all of which helps to boost Chrome's already dominant usage figures still further..!

(I was part of the beta test programme during the first half of 2008, up until the final stable release of v1.0 in the Autumn of that year (and have used them ever since).....so I've always had something of a keen, 'personal' interest in the browser's development history.)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
hi kg.

thanks for your prompt response. i can't remember how i installed chromium.

i don't understand one recommendation on here, i don't know what repos are, codecs, debian. i don't understand one word of it

and its pointless to figure out how to do it as i'm using a different os than you, a different version of that os, a different version of chromium than you

and by the time you nice people actually teach me how to do it, it will be outdated info as the new version will come out and then you will have to teach me again. i can't knowingly waste your time. i absolutely hate software, i'm trying to do the simplest thing in the world (watch a youtube video in year 2024 on an internet browser) and the software community will not allow me. i absolutely hate software.

so let me ask a simple question - if i'm using chrome (not chromium), and i don't have gmail email, and i don't buy anything online, what kind of info can google track on me

and by the time you nice people actually teach me how to do it, it will be outdated info as the new version will come out and then you will have to teach me again.

Assuming you install Chromium properly, you shouldn't have to do it again - it should automatically update with the rest of the system. Chromium is likely in your default repositories but we don't know this because you haven't told us what distro you use.

thats another word i don't understand. thanks everyone for responding. closing thread

thats another word i don't understand. thanks everyone for responding. closing thread
You can use your Synaptic Package Manager to install Chromium - in the search block type in chromium then right click and select Mark for Installation then click Apply

1.png

Sorry to have to correct your assertion, but Chromium and Chrome ARE both from the same company.....Big Brother. They ARE, however, treated as being developed by independent organizations (see below).

When the browser was being developed between 2006 to 2008, there was NO differentiation. From the Wikipedia article on Chrome:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Google set-up the Chromium Project as a completely independent organization, in order to forestall any outcry against closed-source, proprietary code.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

All the "cutting-edge" development work takes place at the Chromium Project itself. The Project has what amounts to a fleet of semi-autonomous bots, which constantly "slipstream" patches that are sent in, round the clock, from the global army of contributory devs working on the Project, and churn out build after updated build, 24/7, non-stop. (Better than 95% of these builds never make it into the public domain, being put together purely for testing & evaluation purposes).

The "oversight" committee at Google's offices monitor the Project closely, several times a day. As soon as a "stable" build is identified, around the time-frame allotted for the next regular update, the committee will alert the browser team. These then grab the source code for that specific build, add the Google-approved "proprietary' bits & re-compile it themselves against a rather older build environment.

This last does have method behind its seeming madness. Chromium is always built against the very newest versions of everything.......but Google deliberately re-compile Chrome against older components for one simple reason; because not everybody religiously updates their systems the instant updates appear. John & Jane Doe, when left to their own devices, wouldn't bother with updating at all, so building the browser this way makes sure it remains available to - and usable by - the greatest number of people worldwide.......all of which helps to boost Chrome's already dominant usage figures still further..!

(I was part of the beta test programme during the first half of 2008, up until the final stable release of v1.0 in the Autumn of that year (and have used them ever since).....so I've always had something of a keen, 'personal' interest in the browser's development history.)

Mike. ;)
Yep you are correct :cool:

Chrome vs Chromium my 2 cents worth, which ain't much but here we go

Google developers take the Chromium source code and add their proprietary code – thus resulting in Chrome which has more features and add-ons than Chromium. For example, Chrome updates automatically and can track browsing data. Chromium does none of this as far as I know.

The disadvantage of using Google Chrome vs Chromium is that the Chrome tracks data and history. Most users today prefer not to share their data. However, one can easily overcome this limitation by using Incognito mode. Another key point is that Chrome users cannot install extensions that are not a part of the web store. This can sometimes be a hindrance, but most of these extensions have an alternative, and users who prefer the ease of using the browser usually overlook this.

One major difference between the two is that Google Chrome updates automatically, where Chromium does not and neither does Ungoogled Chromium. This can be a disadvantage when it comes to the Chromium browser vs Chrome. Specifically, because Chromium comes with a lot of updates. These are posted on the Chromium Projects site and must be downloaded and updated manually every time. This is a critical difference between Chromium and Chrome, as the latter updates automatically.

Apart from this, Chromium does not extend support to MP3, H.264, AAC, etc. This means you cannot play media. Given the advancement of OTT and music streaming platforms, the lack of media codec support appears to be a significant disadvantage when evaluating Google Chrome and Chromium. To stream videos, the only option is to write code manually to support this.

This Chromium version which has the codecs installed already - most distros have this woolyss.com version available in their respected repositories, whereas Chromium does not have codecs - you can see from their webpage which distro have it and those that do not

fwiw.

Chromium installed from the Software Manager on Linux Mint 21.3...

Chromium: 124.0.6367.60

Plays youtube videos etc etc, out of the box...no intervention required

Repositories - centralized source of software that's easily installed with your package manager.

Distro - the version of Linux that you're using, such as Linux Mint, Debian, Ubuntu, etc...

You've still not told us what distro you're using. You also didn't tell us which word it was that you don't understand.

If you help us help you, we can likely get this resolved in a matter of seconds. Chromium is usually trivial to install.

I concur; under normal circumstances, Ungoogled Chromium doesn't auto-update. The Puppy version will, though!

Amongst the host of portable browsers I and a bunch of others have put together for the Puppy community, we have one for UgC. I found a build over at Github, compiled by a guy who goes by the handle of "Marmaduke". One of our Puppy devs - fredx181, who maintains the DebianDogs - put together an updater for it, using wget, which checks for and fetches the latest build from Github whenever the user clicks on it.....then all it basically does is to swap the 'chromium' directory over. This is all that's needed for the new version.

It works rather nicely!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

As for the codecs stuff, for Chromium builds which don't have them, here's a tip:-

Go here, at Github:-

https://github.com/Ld-Hagen/fix-opera-linux-ffmpeg-widevine/releases

This guy, Ld-Hagen, compiles the libffmpeg library primarily for Opera.....but since he actually builds it against the Chromium source code - which Opera uses - these will in fact work for any Chromium-based browser. All that's need is to match the correct build of libffmpeg to the MAJOR version of the browser the specific 'clone' is based on.

Unzip it, and stick libffmpeg.so inside the 'chromium' directory (or whatever the browser build happens to be). The source code is set to look for libffmpeg.so in one of a handful of locations; first, immediately inside the browser directory itself, then if it can't find it there, in one of a handful of specific locations in the file-system.

That'll take care of the audio/video codecs. For Widevine DRM, couldn't be simpler; just 'borrow' it from Chrome itself, and stick it in the browser's main directory.

Libffmpeg needs 'updating' for each new MAJOR version of Chromium. Widevine will typically last around 15-18 months before it needs replacing with a newer build.

Chromium will pick up on both of these.....and your browser's multimedia experience will function as it should.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:

Members online