Is there a word for the data encapsulated in the frame?

C

CrazedNerd

So the packet has the header and payload, very simple in terms of a structure, nice.

...But today i've learned that information is surrounded by the frame, which is where the device identification information is located, and would make any human head explode or more likely just cause hyperventilation and panic attacks if they saw it so the folks in software and development soundly leave it out as a courtesy for the end user.

But then what do you call the (FRAME PACKET HEADER PAYLOAD FRAME)? Given how network technology works, if you're not rapidly sending a bunch of what is put in parentheses, your data will get lost and your files will be corrupted. I've seen what happens to a web page when the internet is performing terribly! It is NOT pretty...those bulletin points, hyperlinks that might not even lead anywhere due to data corruption, blank whiteness...NO ADS.

or is it more just like: (FRAME <--- HEADER <---PAYLOAD * thousands, millions, billions)?

...and those encapsulation diagrams are just wrong?

So the packet has the header and payload, very simple in terms of a structure, nice.

...But today i've learned that information is surrounded by the frame, which is where the device identification information is located, and would make any human head explode or more likely just cause hyperventilation and panic attacks if they saw it so the folks in software and development soundly leave it out as a courtesy for the end user.

But then what do you call the (FRAME PACKET HEADER PAYLOAD FRAME)? Given how network technology works, if you're not rapidly sending a bunch of what is put in parentheses, your data will get lost and your files will be corrupted. I've seen what happens to a web page when the internet is performing terribly! It is NOT pretty...those bulletin points, hyperlinks that might not even lead anywhere due to data corruption, blank whiteness...NO ADS.

or is it more just like: (FRAME <--- HEADER <---PAYLOAD * thousands, millions, billions)?

...and those encapsulation diagrams are just wrong?

You can reason this out using the OSI model

physical think 1's and 0's
datalink think frame
network think packet
transport think segment
Frames encapsulate packets, packets encapsulate segments, segments encapsulate data. Frames, packets and segments all contain headers and payloads. I would tell you the best way to get this straight in your head would be to look up the OSI model and do some reading.

As far as getting things down a wire, fiber optic cable, or through the air there are protocols for physical communication just like the data being sent. When you get to datalink layer there are protocols for that too. Today most are using 802.3 (ethernet). This protocol sets up the rules for frame format and delivery. Frames start with a preamble or pattern of ones an zeros that synchronize the receiver to know a frame is incoming. Once in the frame the header is read. You can discover source and destination (mac addresses) and length of the frame...etc. At the end of the frame there is a fcs that is used to check for errors in the frame. In between header and fcs is payload which contains an encapsulated data, these days that is usually an ip packet(s). In turn each encapsulated layer is subject to the rules of yet another protocol.

The depth you need to understand this depends on what you are doing. Understanding the bottom 4 layers of the OSI model are critical to understand network communication. A network administrator or a firewall admin will need to understand all of the protocol minutia. A programmer may only need to understand the basics.

datalink think frame
network think packet
transport think segment
Frames encapsulate packets, packets encapsulate segments, segments encapsulate data. Frames, packets and segments all contain headers and payloads. I would tell you the best way to get this straight in your head would be to look up the OSI model and do some reading.

As far as getting things down a wire, fiber optic cable, or through the air there are protocols for physical communication just like the data being sent. When you get to datalink layer there are protocols for that too. Today most are using 802.3 (ethernet). This protocol sets up the rules for frame format and delivery. Frames start with a preamble or pattern of ones an zeros that synchronize the receiver to know a frame is incoming. Once in the frame the header is read. You can discover source and destination (mac addresses) and length of the frame...etc. At the end of the frame there is a fcs that is used to check for errors in the frame. In between header and fcs is payload which contains an encapsulated data, these days that is usually an ip packet(s). In turn each encapsulated layer is subject to the rules of yet another protocol.

The depth you need to understand this depends on what you are doing. Understanding the bottom 4 layers of the OSI model are critical to understand network communication. A network administrator or a firewall admin will need to understand all of the protocol minutia. A programmer may only need to understand the basics.
That's good information, it answered my confusion of why data would need to be "encapsulated" rather than just linear/algorithmic, seems so obvious now that you told me. It's encapsulated, linear, AND algorithmic :D

datalink think frame
Unfortunately the edition of "How Linux Works" im using says that these two layers are the same, which is unfortunate. To the human brain, it's all just ones and zeroes when your data gets sent over the internet, networks, and their subnets, but programmatically you need to have the OSI model, the protocols, and layers...which is what makes the whole thing confusing to me. BUT, i am making progress...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately Brian Ward's "How Linux Works" section on networking is just bad overrall, there isn't really much of an explanation of why someone would want to manually configure their networking devices...this is something that modern technologies do really well by themselves as far as a layman's experience is concerned.

The physical layer and data layer differ in the sense that yes the physical layer takes place with 1's 0's, the data link layer is designed for connecting smaller networks, a very necessary part of having "the internet":

Here is a link gives a little more information on encapsulation. There is a lot that goes into getting information from one location to another. If you really want to dig into networking that you get the latest CISCO CCNA certification text. It of course has a lot of proprietary information but most of it is the nuts and bolts of network communication

Here is a link gives a little more information on encapsulation. There is a lot that goes into getting information from one location to another. If you really want to dig into networking that you get the latest CISCO CCNA certification text. It of course has a lot of proprietary information but most of it is the nuts and bolts of network communication

it appears to all based on hardware routing (the front end) and error checking (the tail end), but this is a little bit of an obsession/worry for me because this is the entire basis of the world we live in...no need for me to know how it works lol.

Members online