No Wi-Fi Adapter Found

ldthanhqt

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everybody
I'm a newbie. I have tried with many versions of linux and the results are still the same. I even bought Tenda USB Wifi but it still doesn't work. Please help me, thank you very much

Screenshot from 2024-03-17 10-02-10.png

Screenshot from 2024-03-17 10-02-24.png

Screenshot from 2024-03-17 10-10-36.png

One needs to know the chipset of the USB wifi dongle, if that's what it is, in order to identify the driver that will drive it, since the kernel evidently doesn't have a driver for it.

As new to linux, it may be a bit of a challenge, but it would be helpful if you could:
plug in the usb;
open a terminal on your system;
enter the following into the terminal:
Code:
lsusb
and then paste the output back here exactly, preferably using code tags. The output could be around 5 to 10 lines, only one of which may be relevant, but readers will be in a better position to help.

One needs to know the chipset of the USB wifi dongle, if that's what it is, in order to identify the driver that will drive it, since the kernel evidently doesn't have a driver for it.

As new to linux, it may be a bit of a challenge, but it would be helpful if you could:
plug in the usb;
open a terminal on your system;
enter the following into the terminal:
Code:
lsusb
and then paste the output back here exactly, preferably using code tags. The output could be around 5 to 10 lines, only one of which may be relevant, but readers will be in a better position to help.
This is my lsusb
Screenshot from 2024-03-17 11-05-43.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Below are some results of investigation.

On this device site:
the device: 046d:c542 Logitech, Inc. Wireless Receiver
is shown as a compact wireless mouse.

The closest info I could get for: 13d3:3579 IMC Networks Wireless_Device
is that it's likely a Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth adapter.
ChatGPT:
The vendor:product code "13d3:3579" typically refers to a network adapter manufactured by Qualcomm Atheros. Specifically, this code corresponds to the Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth adapter. It's commonly found in laptops, desktop computers, and other devices that incorporate Bluetooth connectivity.

Assuming you inserted the USB wifi dongle before running the lsusb command, it appears that it is not seen by the linux kernel, and so cannot be used on the system.

Usually the output of the lsusb command with a wifi dongle inserted shows output like:
Code:
<snip>
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 2357:0107 TP-Link TL-WN821N v5/v6 [RTL8192EU]
<snip>

The question arises as to what the MEDIATEK controller in the output in post #1 is.
If you could run this command, and return the output here, it may help:
Code:
lspci

Alternatively, from the terminal run inxi -Nnz and copy/paste back the results [this will show the brand/chipset of the wi-fi and what if any drivers are installed for it

Thanks for the info. Below are some results of investigation.

On this device site:
the device: 046d:c542 Logitech, Inc. Wireless Receiver
is shown as a compact wireless mouse.

The closest info I could get for: 13d3:3579 IMC Networks Wireless_Device
is that it's likely a Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth adapter.

Assuming you inserted the USB wifi dongle before running the lsusb command, it appears that it is not seen by the linux kernel, and so cannot be used on the system.

Usually the output of the lsusb command with a wifi dongle inserted shows output like:
Code:
<snip>
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 2357:0107 TP-Link TL-WN821N v5/v6 [RTL8192EU]
<snip>

The question arises as to what the MEDIATEK controller in the output in post #1 is.
If you could run this command, and return the output here, it may help:
Code:
lspci
This is my lspci

1710667713843.png

silly question.... Have you installed your Linux to the HDD or have you installed to a VM

I cant see your wi-fi [I dont like list pci as its not targeted] can you run inxi -Nn this will just give your host and wi-fi details including which if any drivers are installed

@ldthanhqt, thanks for the lspci output.

The Mediatek 7902 wireless card in your machine does not appear to have an effective reliable linux driver at the moment. Perhaps have a read here:
Although there is a comment there that suggests that the liquorix kernel does have support for the card, as noted here:
unfortunately, the comments on the first link do not confirm that that is the case.

At this point, I think the most effective approach is to acquire a wireless USB dongle that is known to work with linux. Here are some resources which will be able to help you in a choice:

Last edited:
Do not feel bad, it's not you.
There is a thing about Ubuntu not being so great with wifi drivers. I just installed Xubuntu 22.04 and ran into a similar issue. No correct driver in the kernel. Had to tether a mobile device, then run

apt update

then reboot
But I have a wifi card so it's slightly different.

Staff online

Members online