10 Tools to Take or Capture Desktop Screenshots in Linux

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Here's a post reviewing 10 screenshotting tools for Linux https://www.tecmint.com/take-or-capture-desktop-screenshots-in-ubuntu-linux/
An excerpt:
Some of these tools are not only meant to take screenshot, but also to modify the picture, adjusting the borders, depth, color and a lot more while capturing screen of a particular application or a whole window.
I use Ksnip https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip which is not in the list, though some users did mention it in the comments section. It's available in different file formats such as .deb, .rpm, and .Appimage for Linux. It's also available for windows and mac. I find it to be very good; tons of features and a nice interface. The one downside, it's that taking screenshots of a selected area doesn't work in Plasma Wayland https://github.com/ksnip/ksnip/issues/660,

I figured Gnome Screenshot would be on that list. I've used it a few times in the past, but if I can include fancy effects in a picture (say for creating memes), I'm interested in checking out the other ones mentioned.

On my list of articles to write is one on Shutter. It has been my go to for a while now. I like being able to edit and upload all in one place.

I use grimshot on sway.

I figured Gnome Screenshot would be on that list. I've used it a few times in the past, but if I can include fancy effects in a picture (say for creating memes), I'm interested in checking out the other ones mentioned.
I think you can do that with GIMP or Ksnip.

I’ve always used scrot.
Unsure why the article calls it deepin scrot. Scrot’s been around a lot longer than deepin!

I’ve always used scrot.
Unsure why the article calls it deepin scrot. Scrot’s been around a lot longer than deepin!
My guess is that it is a GUI for scrot. I sometimes use scrot too when want just to take a full screen capture since it is as easy as typing
Code:
scrot
in the terminal.

I think you can do that with GIMP or Ksnip.

I've dabbled with GIMP in the past, but its been a while since I've used it, so I'll have to check it out again. I've also used Krita, and TBH, I think I like it better than GIMP from what I remember (not saying the former isn't bad in any way). After I get home from shopping later today, I'll work on a sketch, then later scan it and trace over it in GIMP and then in Krita (just to get a comparison of the two). While I'm tracing, I'll take some notes and post them in a thread sometime afterward so other users can get a better understanding of the two.

My guess is that it is a GUI for scrot. I sometimes use scrot too when want just to take a full screen capture since it is as easy as typing
Code:
scrot
in the terminal.
Yup!
I’ve got a little script set up in my bin directory, called scr - which when called on it’s own will take a screenshot with scrot using my default preferences. I’ve also added a key bind to dwm that will use my script to take a screenshot.

It's Flameshot for me.
happy0034.gif

Printkey=scrot
I also have flameshot installed for when I want an area and not the entire screen.

Members online

Latest posts