2 distros on same laptop

kelltech

Reaction score
Credits
I bet this has been asked before, if not on a regular basis but I couldn't find it. :)

My laptop has 2 ssd's, one is dedicated /home, and I keep my OS on it's own. If I install a second distro can they both access /home even if one is Arch based and the other not? Also, if I don't like that second distro is it troubling to reclaim that drive space?

If there's a conversation or resource on this that I haven't found yet, please point me to it!

I bet this has been asked before, if not on a regular basis but I couldn't find it. :)

My laptop has 2 ssd's, one is dedicated /home, and I keep my OS on it's own. If I install a second distro can they both access /home even if one is Arch based and the other not? Also, if I don't like that second distro is it troubling to reclaim that drive space?

If there's a conversation or resource on this that I haven't found yet, please point me to it!
It might cause configuration error if using same applications with different versions. Just do a backup of that /home before installing another distro.

Last edited:
Are we supposed to guess what the 2nd distro is ?
Hadn't really settled on anything or else I would have named one, but for the sake of naming something I'll go with Fedora. It's a great distro that just happens to have problems with my laptop, so it would be fun to work on finding out why.

That's an interesting link you shared, I didn't find that during my searches. I like that the person asks some of the questions like tinkering with Gnome in one, what does it do to the other....

Just do a backup of that /home before installing another distro.
....Which certainly makes this a valuable reminder!!

If your going to run Arch on one ssd and Fedora on the other ssd I wouldn't share home just because of the way that Fedora has to be partitioned.

When I ran Fedora I had to create a /home, /boot, /root and swap partitions for it to run properly.
Fedora {unless they changed it} is on a six month release schedule. So, you either have to upgrade which doesn't always go well in some cases or perform fresh install's.
***Remember: Fedora is the test bed for Red Hat.***

If your going to run Arch on one ssd and Fedora on the other ssd I wouldn't share home just because of the way that Fedora has to be partitioned.
Thank you for sharing your insight! I'm going to forego the idea for now since I will undoubtedly and unnecessarily break things and have to come running for help that could have been avoided. :) I'll stick to using Boxes to play with differing distros until I can get an older machine that I can dedicate to learning on and not jeopardize my data.

Thank you for sharing your insight! I'm going to forego the idea for now since I will undoubtedly and unnecessarily break things and have to come running for help that could have been avoided. :) I'll stick to using Boxes to play with differing distros until I can get an older machine that I can dedicate to learning on and not jeopardize my data.
You're welcome.
Good Luck--

Members online