2010 iMac crashing with Ubuntu Creator

nicholasj

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everything, wow so impressed with Linux so far, I’ve had money issues for a decade now and as an artist editing software is a key part of my practice.

I have downloaded Ubuntu Studio for my iMac with the specs below, I am new to Linux/refurbing computers but happy to learn. I thought I would have to put some new parts into my iMac but it is already crashing with every app I try (even Firefox)

Any suggestions?

Also, could you confirm if I can buy any processor/RAM/graphics card on eBay that will work with this machine?

Current specs:
2010 iMac
  • 21.5-inch (viewable) 16:9 widescreen LED-backlit display;
  • 1920 by. 1080 pixels
  • 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor; 3MB shared L2 cache
  • Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU E7600 @3.06GHz
  • 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 16GB
  • 500GB Serial ATA hard drivel
  • 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of
  • DDR3 SRAM shared with main memory

Last edited:

Where to start....
The Core 2 Duo E7600 is the fastest in the range that will fit your machine, so you're stuck with it [it may be dated, but it's a good CPU]
If you're going to do graphic rendering then I would strongly suggest increasing the ram to the max the board will take I believe it has 2 slots so 2x8gb PC3-8500 204-PIN SODIMM MEMORY
as the GPU shares the ram, I again would suggest once working you re-allocate 1gb of ram to the graphics,
that's the easy part,
Now, although mac's make good Linux machines, they do have their problems with getting a good clean installation, a good guide is this one

I forgot to say.. Welcome to the forums.

Thank you kindly!
I have reinstalled Ubuntu Studio, slightly different to the guide you linked but close enough, same issue , says “This window might be busy and is not responding” and not even the start menu responds.

+ by the way the RAM recommendation looks good and easy to install. And so you didn’t suggest getting a new graphics card just assigning 1GB to graphics (GPU)?

Last edited:
A dedicated graphic card could be a good investment, but considering current prices is it worth it for a 12 yr old machine, unless you pick up something around 6/7 yrs old that will increase the performance without going mad on the bucks, you will need to have the back off and check it has a spare PCIe slot and if its full or low profile before you decide.

Last edited:
This window might be busy and is not responding
In latest versions of Ubuntu, you can choose between X.org and Wayland on the login screen. Whichever you've been using, try the other. Sometimes a problem with Wayland can be fixed by using X.org, or vice versa.

In latest versions of Ubuntu, you can choose between X.org and Wayland on the login screen. Whichever you've been using, try the other. Sometimes a problem with Wayland can be fixed by using X.org, or vice versa.
That is not on Ubuntu Studio, I can select Ubuntu Studio Session or Xfce Session, both of them crash.

I’ve tried a couple more distros, struggled to download get them to work unfortunately. Ubuntu Studio seems amazing but this is not working

Have you tried to install the Nvidia Drivers? open Software & Updates then the Additional Drivers tab if that does not display the drivers you need you can get them from here - https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/71379/en-us
I tried it, the .run file wouldn’t work but I did update the software again (as I selected when I installed the mac)
No everything is working! Unless I leave the iMac for like 10 mins then it crashes, the clock on it still works strangely

Downloaded Linux mint, working better, definitely better (not crashing all the time) when I select the NVIDIA driver like in the pic. Now the issue is if I leave if for like 10 mins on the screensaver, it won’t leave the screensaver. A bit like with Ubuntu with the NVIDIA driver.

So the open source driver fails worse tha NVIDIA, which still flickers and has issues.

Yes I am aware my iMac is 12 years old

Attachments

• 329A8900-E2EB-4C6C-8AF4-C986D3129B92.jpeg
    329A8900-E2EB-4C6C-8AF4-C986D3129B92.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 201

Staff online

Members online