32bit Linux

super_user_do

Reaction score
Credits
Are still there any user friendly 32bit Linux distros? ZorinOS will drop out the 32bit support and my grandfather is still using a 32bit Laptop lol

YES at the moment you will get support till at least 2024 with most Debian based 32 bit distributions, so
MX-32bit
debian stable-32bit
Mint lmde5-32bit
AntiX-32bit
to name a few

A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu yielded this list:

A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu yielded this list:

YES at the moment you will get support till at least 2024 with most Debian based 32 bit distributions, so
MX-32bit
debian stable-32bit
Mint lmde5-32bit
AntiX-32bit
to name a few
Thank you :) I'll go for MINT

yep I can vouch for MX-21 works great on my old 32 bit box. Actually it's my son's.

Also Antix and Debian are good canidates.
Good Luck.

I didn't think anyone used 32bit anymore...just too slow.
sad0004.gif

I have an old Sony Vaio - had xp on it now have Devuan Chimaera on it with an older series 4 kernel - works well.

I didn't think anyone used 32bit anymore...just too slow.
Sometimes slower than 64bit, and sometimes not. It depends on a few factors, hardware being one of them, but the real problem with 32bit is that Unix and its clone systems will run out of space for "Unix time" which the kernel depends on, that is, the numerical measure of time in seconds since 1970 used in the kernel will exceed the 32bit allocation and lead to malfunction beyond 2038. The 64bit systems will last much longer, a few billion years more.

Sometimes slower than 64bit, and sometimes not. It depends on a few factors, hardware being one of them, but the real problem with 32bit is that Unix and its clone systems will run out of space for "Unix time" which the kernel depends on, that is, the numerical measure of time in seconds since 1970 used in the kernel will exceed the 32bit allocation and lead to malfunction beyond 2038. The 64bit systems will last much longer, a few billion years more.
I've read some things about somebody fixingw this issue

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts