4Mlinux on a USB with persistence

So in other words the only other way would be to install as if the USB drive is a hard drive using ext 4 like I do with some of my Linux BBQ installs better than save file anyway.

@Darren Hale, I like your idea, but I couldn't get it to work. With USB stick formatted either FAT32 or ext4, the 4MLinux live CD would not recognize the stick when plugged in. I got the same results on a couple of different computers. The command "lsusb" returned no new values to show the stick. Gparted reported, "could not stat /dev/sdf" with the stick installed, so it sort of saw it, I guess. That error did not appear if the stick was not plugged in when starting Gparted.

I do like 4MLinux though... it is VERY FAST using Joe's Window Manager (JWM). It was a bit of a hassle to get the WiFi going, but of course all of that info would be saved on a HDD install. It's a shame that persistence doesn't work on this distro. I tried Unetbootin and PendriveLinux also, but the no-go was expected from them already.

It's fun to try something new! Cheers!

Yes the method may not work with every distro. Mind you it was Debian based ones to be fair which I tried.

As for Puppie's frugal install it its b------------------------------ awful. I had always tried full installs but the usb frugal installs were a pain with the savefile filling up and needing to enlarge it and then needing to do it again when you installed some stuff.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts