8086:0808 USB audio

jobdone

Reaction score
Credits
I have several cheap chinese USB audio devices. I have a program which records and plays back audio. I normally run this on my pi 1 which is running Raspbian (no gui) currently 4.19.66+. The recorded audio stutters and I get a read overflowed error in the terminal. The CPU barely ever goes over 1% usage. I have just replicated the error on my desktop which is running mint 5.3.0-45 64 bit. however when I use a virtual machine of win7 using my mint desktop as host, the windows version does not suffer this issue and it seems to be able to use more sampling frequencies. So my question is this does a driver exist for this hardware or a workaround?
Attached is a dmesg of the sound card attached, the error I get in terminal, what windows shows the device as and the win terminal without errors.

Attachments

• dmesg.png
    dmesg.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 488
  • linux term.png
    linux term.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 518
  • win device manager.png
    win device manager.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 499
  • windows.png
    windows.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 468

Please run this inxi command in a terminal and post the reply here:
Code:
inxi -Axxxxz

Here is the output running on my x64 desktop. it is device 4. inxi is not installed on my rpi.

Device-1: AMD Trinity HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:01.1 chip ID: 1002:9902
Device-2: AMD FCH Azalia vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:14.2 chip ID: 1022:780d
Device-3: Logitech Webcam C270 type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
bus ID: 2-5:3 chip ID: 046d:0825 serial: <filter>
Device-4: Intel type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
bus ID: 5-1:4 chip ID: 8086:0808
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-45-generic

There is this on askubuntu, that might help some with Mint, pretty close to the same code base. It might also give you a clue on your RPI. I have an RPI 2 but I haven't looked at in a long time, although sound was working fine on Raspbian (w/GUI) the last time it ran.

Thanks , yes this isn't a mint issue , but I do agree maybe somewhere in the debian family (as both are). The sound output is fine. I guess not everyone is noticing this because of that. The problem with these chinese USB sound cards is they swap chipsets all the time. I have some which work fine on audio input and output. But this specific chipset which seems very common is a right pain and it causes audio breaks on input. I'm not specifically worried as I have other chipsets. I'm just asking if there is a work around or a driver which is needed, none of which I can find.

same problem here, same usb card, armbian on orangepi

If the OS stays the same, and a piece of hardware - meaning the chip - changes, then the driver has to change. Even of the card name and version does not change - just the chip. The driver does not care about the card name, the version, manufacturer or the label on the box. It's all about the chip.

So with Linux, if no one in the community has seen the chip, and the manufacturer does not provide a source code release of the Windows or Mac driver, then it's really difficult to figure out how to make it run in Linux. It's basically a reverse engineering effort. Not all chips are known to everyone, especially in the open source community.

I have bought stuff made in China, some of it is really good. Some not so much. It's not about the country of origin, however when finding a driver for a specific chip, it's all about the internal design of the chip. There are chips made in the USA or England or India that are perfectly fine - and others that can be junk - but if there is no Linux driver, then it's not going to work in Linux without a lot of effort.

I'm fairly certain other people have seen this particular IC as it's very prolific. The reason I mentioned the device ID and not the part or revision is because I'm aware of the differences in IC's used and the fact they would be of no use to anyone.

Members online

Latest posts