A pretty fair panning of Elementary OS

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Points 1, 3 and 4 are a few reasons for me to avoid. But more than that, it's the attitude of the team.

Also, I donate to any software I use, but elementary's approach of making you put a zero in the box if you can't afford a donation is pathetic. I feel like they try to shame you into donating and make you feel like a bum if you can't. I've never liked their attitude. Not in the beginning, and not now. That's a project I'll never use or support.

I can't understand why so many are enamored with the distro anyway. There are better looking distros that have the functionality I desire and have great teams behind them.

They also charge for boutique software in the software store, for what it's worth.

Their whole model involves paying for stuff. For better or worse, I'm a fan of a variety of distros. So, I appreciate what they're trying to do - which is make enough money to fund development instead of relying solely on volunteers.

Heck, I'd love it if my Linux site made enough to just cover the hosting. A lot of us pay for stuff out of pocket, including giving our time away. So, I can see the point. In my case, it's just the general principle. I'll keep paying for the costs regardless.

I have to say that the Elementary team did a fairly good work on supporting Mac and modern Windows laptops,with all their UEFI variants ("standard UEFI" has become the same kind of oxymoron as "USB standard", or even worse) and for what it's worth, it helped me to come into terms with modern Linux stability to get a laptop and use it with Linux, single boot. Indeed, it was the first distribution to occupy the whole 1 TB on my ThinkPad.

But: the energy they spend in supporting closed and proprietary, or bleeding edge boot sequences and UEFI variants is taking a toll in their overall end-user stability, and it's something that requires a specific set of skills that need to be paid (that I paid back then). Remember that free software means free as in freedom, not free as in free beer.

I stopped using Elementary because it sistematically failed to position the displays in a multi-screen setup, which is something that has been solved in other, more standard, desktop environments a ridiculous amount of time ago.

The last time I installed eOS, it crashed constantly. Pretty much opening the menu made it crash. Anything that was taxing would make it crash. This was in a VM with ample resources dedicated to it. I want to say it was 6 and while it was a brand new release, it had worse results than a beta.

I was disappointed and voiced my disappointment. I've yet to try it again.

That's wild. With eOs 5 I was able to use it natively in a Macbook Pro with the exception of the webcam (easy to compile its driver). I guess they screwed things up since then!

It may just not have liked virtualized hardware. That happens seldom, but it does happen.

They also charge for boutique software in the software store, for what it's worth.

Their whole model involves paying for stuff. For better or worse, I'm a fan of a variety of distros. So, I appreciate what they're trying to do - which is make enough money to fund development instead of relying solely on volunteers.

Heck, I'd love it if my Linux site made enough to just cover the hosting. A lot of us pay for stuff out of pocket, including giving our time away. So, I can see the point. In my case, it's just the general principle. I'll keep paying for the costs regardless.

I know what you mean. And people deserve to be paid for their time and work. I don't take issue with them finding ways to monetize their work. They aren't going to get rich at it. I just take issue with their approach. It may be an issue with my thinking, but oh well. o_O

It may be an issue with my thinking, but oh well.

It could be viewed as their trying to make money off the backs of other people who have done the majority of the work. The amount of code eOS adds is pretty small compared to the amount of code included in the entire OS.

Members online