A question?

D

David Wilson

I am running ubuntu 11.10 kind of don't like it i would like to give mint11 a good try and or add it to the list of login options that i already have. I have made a live boot and played with it a bit . What i do not want to have to do if i dont have to is reinstall all the apps i have now is there a way to do all of this ?
thanks Dave

Do you have some hard drive space that you can use for mint or did you use it all up w/ ubuntu?

I imagine you could plug in a large usb stick and install it to that :)

The question has come into my mind before I tried another distro but I believe I can't do it :D
I just have to start from scratch and download everything back.

I'm not sure though but If anyone can do that then he probably have really tons of skills and i mean each apps has files in /usr /bin and everywhere,not to mention its dependencies...

The question has come into my mind before I tried another distro but I believe I can't do it :D
I just have to start from scratch and download everything back.

I'm not sure though but If anyone can do that then he probably have really tons of skills and i mean each apps has files in /usr /bin and everywhere,not to mention its dependencies...

I had friend tell me do the install. it did say that it would import for lack of a better way of putting it all my stuff how ever it did not or i did not understand what it was saying it would do either way i now have mint and i am having to start all over again... oh well it's not that bad but the install did say some thing to the effect of that it would do this

I have tested out Linux Mint using a usb drive before I installed it into the hard disk. You should try that. It gives you a chance to try things out become you commit yourself.

I have tested out Linux Mint using a usb drive before I installed it into the hard disk. You should try that. It gives you a chance to try things out become you commit yourself.

I think this is probably the best idea. Always try before you buy. Make a live USB stick with Mint on it and give it a try before installing it onto your hard drive.

You can port your installed packages via a file to the new mint:
Code:
dpkg --get-selections |awk '{print $1}' > dpkg_installed.log
This can work for a basic setup, when you don't have any extra PPA.

To restore this list try using this:
Code:
for x in `cat dpkg_installed.log `; do apt-get install $x;done
This maybe a little inefficient, but it does the Job.

so far
mfg 4k3nd0

PS: You should make sure that you don't delete your /home folder. I always recommend for purpose like this to put your /home on a extra Partition. So your able to use your settings always distribution independent.

Members online