A Week with Windows 11: Through the Looking-Glass

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)

So, I just bumped into this post https://www.linuxlinks.com/week-windows-11/ while checking my feed, and thought of sharing here.
An excerpt:
Everything in the Microsoft Store is pushed to trying to sell you expensive proprietary software, guides and other things.
I have no bugbear with proprietary software. But what is unforgivable are attempts to profit from free and open source software by ‘enterprising’ individuals. For example, a search of LibreOffice (an extremely popular open source office suite) brings up entries for LibreOffice Suite for £6.69, LibreOffice Vanilla for £8.39, LibreOffice for Windows for £4.19. But LibreOffice is free and open source software. Another example of this blatant profiteering is the entry for darktable labelled “DarkTable LightRoom”. It’s retailing in the Microsoft Store for £4.19, but again this is a complete rip-off. darktable is free and open source software and a Windows binary is available from the developers’ website: www.darktable.org.

Good article Thanks for sharing.

How refreshing someone with a brain and knows what they're talking about.

Here are the facts:
1) Linux and Windows are difficult to use for people with zero computing knowledge.

2) Linux is not harder to use than Windows. It is different to Windows. And people with a lot of Windows knowledge complain a lot when using Linux. That’s just because they need to learn some new things.

3) For the vast majority of tasks, Linux users never need to go near the command line. Sure they miss out on the rich ecosystem that the command line offers, but it’s definitely not essential to master.

4) Making a blanket statement about STEEP learning curve of Linux is risible. There are some distros that require more technical prowess (e.g. Arch Linux), but there are lots of Linux distros which have a SHALLOW learning curve.

5) Having taught beginners Windows classes for 30 years I know that most users really only want to do basic tasks e.g. surf, shop, email etc. They are all easy to do with a user-friendly Linux distro.

The above copied from here.

One reason why the average Joe leans towards Windows is that say in the U.K they exclusively use Windows. So basically schools are perpetuating a monopoly .

try telling them that though ; underneath every enlightened in the U.K lurks a Victorian

So basically schools are perpetuating a monopoly .
And don't i know it, my granddaughter when she was about 5 could use mac [their home computer was also the business computer ] and when she stopped with us she used Linux without issue, when she moved into mainstream primary education she had to learn windows because all the programs used bu the school were MS only, all home work had to be done in MS word, the IT person at school said that mac and linux was not compatible [we all know better] but the school would not back down, she is noe 3/4 of the way through her secondary education and again the school will only allow the latest micrcrap,
the government departments are just as bad, I delivered a car to the head of technical services at a large hospital they were still using W95 [w8 had been out for about a year] when i queried it he said the authority wont change because fist cost of upgrading equipment and second re-training of staff what about Linux I asked, and he told me he had upgraded the servers to linux, but no one as users wanted even to try it.