About a recently removed thread...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I deleted a thread and am writing this for transparency.

The thread was antagonistic, repeated, goading, and even attacking. I was the intended subject. I left the thread opened and responded in a civil manner.

However, I'd never allow the user to do this to another user. Had it been one of you, I'd have nipped it in the bud immediately.

I let it go 'cause I figure they'll tucker themselves out eventually. I should not have done that.

The post was *rightfully* reported. Thank you for reporting it.

After some time and communication, the thread was removed.

I can not hold myself to a different standard than I hold the rest of the site - unless, of course, it's a higher standard.

Just because I don't mind doesn't mean it can be allowed to happen. If we allow content 'just because I don't mind' then I'd not be very good at being a moderator.

I will leave this thread open for discussion, but that's really the gist of it. No other moderator actions were taken.

I deleted a thread and am writing this for transparency.
I said....

Okay - Delete the Topic or edit out what you perceive to be untrue quotes or too much to handle.
I was trying to evoke a response to all the false statements about my LXDE setup - did not expect this one :)

Thanks - full transparency is so cool - thanks and credit to both - Chris Turner

I hope it can be confirmed that all I have quoted was and still is perfectly truthful?

Was it not me who was called silly and stupid...?
Was it not my posts that were considered not worth reading - how insulting is that? etc etc

If you take the time to look at it from my perspective; it was me that was being baited with what I consider to be totally false statements about my set-up. What was I supposed to do - just take it or answer back?
Do you agree that they were false?

Last edited:
Okay - Delete the Topic or edit out what you perceive to be untrue quotes or too much to handle.
If you dedicate an entire topic for calling someone silly and stupid it just comes off as though your goal was to be little someone. You could have responded in an existing topic where the discussion was already ongoing about LXDE(or your setup), it would have sounded a lot different if it had been part of a general ongoing discussion without being directed at one single person and where there was more context to why you were saying about what you were saying.

User has gone on vacation for a little while.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by both @KGIII & @f33dm3bits

This forum has a manner about it, which is not generally encountered elsewhere on the 'net.

The manner in which we conduct ourselves is kept to a high standard. Always factual, sometimes with a little tongue in cheek humour, never nasty or underhanded.

Due to the Admin and Moderator's input it will remain so.

I am a little confused about the following. It appears to be something attributed to me as having said it, but I said nothing of the sort.

Thanks - full transparency is so cool - thanks and credit to both - Chris Turner

I am totally behind David G. @KGIII in this matter, and have been an invited party to his actions and words.

Hopefully the Member will return in the New Year to be a contributing Member of our community.

To all of you please have a safe and Happy New Year, and we will look forward to working with you all (and having some fun) in 2023.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hopefully the Member will return in the New Year to be a contributing Member of our community.

^ THIS

That's what I'd like to see happen the most. They've got a small vacation, which hopefully will give them enough time to move on towards new topics and new discussions.

I'm pretty forgetful. I can easily forget the past and move on, 'cause I'm kinda like a goldfish at times.

And they say goldfish have no memory
I guess their lives are much like mine
And the little plastic castle
Is a surprise every time

I joined Linux.org as a refugee from technical forums that treat drama as entertainment. What @KGIII described happens every day there, and it has been going on for years. Linux.org is not a perfect fit for my needs and interests, but the good people here make it a welcoming place. I am glad I found it.

Linux.org is not a perfect fit for my needs and interests, but the good people here make it a welcoming place. I am glad I found it.
They are a happy, forgiving bunch, are they not ?...I landed here on April 30 2017, and have not looked back. @wizardfromoz joined just a day or so after on May 1, 2017. We are both refugees from another well known forum,....

I am aware of the 'drama as entertainment' ....'thing'.......those responsible and who revel in it should show shame for their actions.....but rarely if ever, do so.

As, @Brickwizard would say....'kick back with a beer'.....enjoy yourself.

Hang around for as long as you wish.

You are valued here.

Linux.org is not a perfect fit for my needs and interests, but the good people here make it a welcoming place.

Then, when those topics do arise (and they will/do), you're the resident guru.

They are a happy, forgiving bunch, are they not ?

I lose zero sleep over this site and don't even take it personal - even when they try to make it personal.

I just want to bring folks up to speed with this.

Let's just say that there was a great deal of discussion behind the scenes. It was not without deliberation. It was not a decision made in a vacuum. It wasn't even a decision made by me, and certainly not by me alone.

The user received an additional ban, due to continued attempts to antagonize, bait, beat a dead horse, flood with the same post topics, etc... More or less, you can say that they continued to try bringing drama to the forum.

I think that's a fair statement.

The additional ban that I gave them, their second ban, was turned into a permanent ban. We don't have the time or resources to deal with people who continue to disrupt the community. As such, the decision was made to make the ban permanent.

Because it would have been too disruptive, making disjointed threads that'd confuse readers, the additional decision was made (at this time) to not remove the various offending comments. (We didn't mash the "Spam Clean" button.)

If you have any question or concerns, you can approach any of us to ask them. You can ask in both public or in private, as far as I'm concerned.

Additionally, I want you to know that these sort of decisions aren't made lightly. We floated many ideas among ourselves and some community members. In the end, we felt that a permanent ban was the best option for the forum *and* for the user in question. While unfortunate, that's a part of our duties as janitors and administrators.

Unless it's a flagrant foul, we always regret having to take these steps and we hope that that's apparent by our actions and by how seldom we make these decisions.

Thank you for your patience. We can wrap this up as having been resolved, and move on to a new and brighter day.

Well I, for one, am glad and I think you made the right move. I was having trouble separating out any real discussion from the clutter and was starting to consider not coming here any more. This is the first technical online forum I've been active in, and I've been enjoying the discussion and being able to help up until then. I found the forum a little more refreshing and focused after ban #2.

Welcome back, Matt !

I found the forum a little more refreshing and focused after ban #2.

I prefer to be considered a janitor more than a 'moderator'. My goal is to keep the forum clear of certain types of content.

I did just come up with a pithy statement that's too 'good' to not be shared!

"My position of a mod doesn't afford me extra rights, it demands of me extra duties."

Anyhow, we're glad you stuck around and choose to participate. As always, there's a 'report' option. We take those serious.

I'm also a huge fan of transparency. I should be accountable. We all should be held to account when necessary. I don't really like banning anyone. You mostly have to work at it for me to ban you. I give you all sorts of warnings before I take action (unless it's egregious). You know it's coming before you press the Post Reply button, or you should.

So, thanks for sticking around. Like any community, there will be drama from time to time. We do our best to avoid it. You're not bugging us (or adding work we didn't sign up to do) when you hit that report button. It's one of the best ways to bring something to our attention.

Try as I might to read everything, there's often so much that I can only skim it. So, the report button is an option you should be aware of. When we get a report, that's when things get formal.

In this case, it took a report button 'cause I was content letting them attack me. As stated above, that was wrong. I should have acted sooner. (I am not perfect, no matter what my wife tells you!) I'd have acted sooner had it been any other user, but it was directed at me. I admit, I was also a bit worried about appearing biased, but I still should have acted sooner.

I like that^^^^....that's good !!!
b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

@MattWinter - Matt, you hit the nail on the head.

In recent weeks and months people like your good self, @osprey , @sphen and others have joined, to add value and numbers to an already substantial Think Tank that IMO is the best in the Linux World.

People need to be able to come here to learn, to teach, to receive help, to enjoy their Linux, maybe make friends (as I have) and be a part of a community.

They don't need to come here and dread the postings of a person who has issues, and is venting their spleen on all and sundry.

I was in the middle of a Conversation with him when @KGIII imposed the 2nd ban, and so I did not get to tell Ziggi he should seek help, but I will follow up with that to conclude this Post and hope he reads it and takes it to heart in a positive way.

Following that, I began a 4-way with Staff to consider the options, for consensus purposes. Our Super Administrator @Rob advocated showing him the door, and I undertook to do so, and did.

So for Ziggi - if he reads this, I was going to say the following:

You need help. If you are from long-lived stock, even at 72 it will benefit you and those around you.

You need to talk with Millie and talk with your doctor, and get referred to a psychiatrist, not a psychologist, medication will help.

Tell a psychiatrist that a fellow (me) thinks you have either

developing Dementia

or
  • (Adult) ADD-ADHD
  • Narcissism
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Paranoia, and if you are very bright, perhaps
  • High-functioning Asperger's Syndrome
Why do I think this?

Because my parents had dementia for nearly 20 years between them, and because I have 8 mental health disorders, listed here

https://www.linux.org/threads/mental-well-being-and-coping-strategies.29492/post-95432

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz