Accidentally uninstalled my GUI (Xfce 4.14.4)

SaHaRzZz

Reaction score
Credits
I am running kali linux, Kernel 5.6.0 which is running Xfce 4.14.4
I was experimenting with installing XRDP and some things didn't work, so I have decided to remove everything I just installed, and I removed these packages:
xfce4 xfce4-goodies xorg dbus-x11 x11-xserver-utils

After that I rebooted the OS and now everytime I login, I am getting vertical orange lines and can't see anything.
I read abit and saw that my OS is running Xfce and I just did something so stupid that it makes me embarrassed to even ask about it lol.

I tried accessing the recovery mode, but it tells me that my root account is locked, and prevents me from doing stuff in the terminal.

How can I re-install Xfce?

I am not up on Arch, but normaly as you switch on press and hold Ctrl + Alt + F2 should get you to a prompt

and sudo pacman -S xfce4 should load the desktop

or to change sudo password this usualy works
Type the following command as a sudo user in the Terminal to change the root password.

$ sudo passwd root

You will be asked to type a new password for the root user. Enter a new password and press Enter. Then, re-enter the password and press the Enter key to avoid any typos.

edit.. see my correction further down

Last edited:
I am not up on Arch, but normaly as you switch on press and hold Ctrl + Alt + F2 should get you to a prompt

and sudo pacman -S xfce4 should load the desktop

or to change sudo password this usualy works
Type the following command as a sudo user in the Terminal to change the root password.

$ sudo passwd root

You will be asked to type a new password for the root user. Enter a new password and press Enter. Then, re-enter the password and press the Enter key to avoid any typos.
Kali Linux is based on Debian not Arch.

You can get to the tty terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F2 or F3 upto F6. And then login and run

Bash:
sudo apt-get xfce4

for more info you can follow this tutorial

Last edited:
i thought he said kali ?
your right Im getting old brain gets fuzzy towards bed time ..... so the only diffrance is to install xfce from terminal in Debian is sudo apt-get install xfce4

That happened to me once when I first started using Linux, I had to basically reinstall the DE. Like @an4s911 mentioned, try switching to the tty terminal and doing the install from there, should not be an issue to reinstall it.

what you are going to have to do is find the right command to get your desktop back it used to be something like

just xfce xfce-goodies.

I think it may now be : kali-desktop-xfce

as theprof said fire up and try hitting ctrl + alt + F5 to get to a tty shell

Code:
sudo apt search kali-desktop-xfce

brings up anything , that will show you have Internet and it can find pkg

if it does then do

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y kali-desktop-xfce
//if you get asked for default display manager go for lightdm 
then sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

//choose xfce