Accidently delete Data Directory

mickey5055

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all, I'm actually taking Linux fundamental class this semester. Before my first quiz, I was practicing to learn basic commands such as to make and remove directory and file. I believe I delete Data directory without realizing it. That's is my biggest mistake. Now the professor to teaching in class by using tar commands (tar -vf ~/Hold/backup.tar test*) using under Data directory. I realize I can't proceed with the class because I delete Data directory! So I created a new directory name Data of course but it's have no file in it. What am I suppose to do now? I feel like I have to start all over from scratch like unstalled then install Linux mint again.

welcome @mickey5055 :)

I feel like I have to start all over from scratch like unstalled then install Linux mint again.

that may be fastest and most effective. if dualbooting with windows, use install other/something else to install the new version of the old, reformatting as you go. if drive dedicated to linux just install to whole drive, erases previous version.

if you want to recover the data partition, act asap with something like christophe grenier's test disk. or gparted on a usb stick has a data recovery option.

can't help more for now broken shoulder

chris turner
wizardfromoz

Members online