Acer Aspire one difficulties

ImOverThere

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, Sooo I swapped out my windows on my Acer aspire one shortly after I did my mane laptop. It WAS going fine and running good till tonight. Its now getting hot enough to make breakfast on it and is lagging out miserably. Is there a certain area I can look too that might show problems? Or should I wipe the computer and try again? o_O

G'day ImOverThere......which OS are you running now ?

Any other changes made ?....graphics card..?....etc ...?

@Condobloke I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and I did a fresh install and overwrote the empty storage space as well and the same as i did on my dinosaur hp that i'm happily using right now. I have not made any changes to the Acer but I might have to. I will post specs on the acer in a little bit once im a little more awake.

Alright so I have the overheating issue with the Acer ironed out, but the system is still lagging. I've found out that Ubuntu doesn't necessarily like AMD processors.... which is what is in the Acer.. I have been looking for a thread on fixes for this for amd processors but haven't found one for the setup mine has.
Any one know of a place to look??

Precisely which MODEL of the Acer Aspire One have you got?

How much RAM has it got?

If it is an original that came with 512Mb of RAM and Ubuntu might not be the lightest choice. Another Canonical *buntu might be better, e.g. Lubuntu.

You have to be careful because using a lightweight OS and loading some heavyweight apps onto it will slow it down...

Detail please, what setup does yours have ?

amd64?.....etc etc

There is nothing to work with in your post....again.

Searching back through your previous topics for info, is something that most readers here will not do......hence they will skip the topic and offer no help

This search will help finding hardware info
https://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+command+hardware

I apologize, I had the info pulled up and everything and spaced getting it in there.
Memory is 4gb ddr3
proccesor is an AMD C-60 apu with radeon hd graphics x2
graphis is AMD Palm
and I have a 500 gb sata hard drive. I do plan on adding ram to this computer and upgrading the hard drive i just don't have the funds at this moment...

G'day again,

I personally run Linux Mint 18.3....and if I tap the menu icon...and type in 'drivers' ..it brings up 'Driver Manager'
click on that, and it scans and carries on and eventually tell me that intel microcode is the firmware for my intel cpu
It doesnt mention anything about graphics because the graphics card in inbuilt on the motherboard.

I am not conversant with the Ubuntu menu......I have never used it.

However......seeing that linux is based on Ubuntu, the differences should not be anything overwhelming.....So....menu>>>drivers>>>>....follow the prompts from there....

.....and report back what it is that you find.

Alright I will figure it out for what it is with Ubuntu and try to get it done fairly quickly. Granted things stop crashing for a few minutes to get the task done.....o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Alright, So no matter what I do I cant go through settings to try and find the drivers. I found a website telling me how to search for the drivers via the command terminal but its not producing anything and im searching for other viable options through my big laptop.
Any ideas? the code the website said to use was
ubuntu-drivers devices, even tried using sudo before it. Did nothing...

I found a website telling me how to search for the drivers via the command terminal but its not producing anything and im searching for other viable options through my big laptop.
Any ideas? the code the website said to use was
ubuntu-drivers devices, even tried using sudo before it. Did nothing...

What was the website, @ImOverThere ?

And it was 18.04 GNOME, ie the Desktop edition, is that right?

Cheers

Wizard

BTW, there is no actual command "ubuntu-drivers device", but there is

Code:
sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
, but I have not checked to see if that is still current, yet.

What was the website, @ImOverThere ?

And it was 18.04 GNOME, ie the Desktop edition, is that right?

Cheers

Wizard

BTW, there is no actual command "ubuntu-drivers device", but there is

Code:
sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
, but I have not checked to see if that is still current, yet.
That code does not work any more it brought me up nothing. Here is the link to the info previously stated. And yes its 18.04 gnome and it runs flawlessly on my hp elitebook 8470p.
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-inst...ntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux#h3-requirements

It seems that the command is still current, but perhaps only generates output if there is something that can be addressed.

In my case using the same Bionic Beaver as you:

chris@BeaverGNOME:~$ sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
[sudo] password for chris:
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001292sv00001179sd0000FA89bc03sc02i00
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
model : GK208M [GeForce GT 740M]
driver : nvidia-340 - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free recommended
driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

chris@BeaverGNOME:~$

If you need to check on eg graphics drivers, you can either click on Activities at top of screen or Show Applications at bottom of screen, and it will bring up Software & Updates. Click that and then the tab 2nd from right - Additional Drivers.

Mine looks like this, and you can see I use the generic Linux driver Nouveau over nVidia (nVidia can be a PITA)

edQRAbj.png

Cheers

Wizard

That code does not work any more it brought me up nothing.

The command, ubuntu-drivers, is still present in 18.04, but it does not report any devices on my laptop either. It has other functions that should work.

Alright so I have the overheating issue with the Acer ironed out, but the system is still lagging. I've found out that Ubuntu doesn't necessarily like AMD processors....

Can you tell us what fixed the overheating problem?

I don't believe that Ubuntu necessarily dislikes AMD processors either! :D Peculiar quirks come up sometimes between distros and all the various manufacturers, using both AMD and Intel chips. Keep in mind that just about all computers are designed for Windows, not Linux. While Linux developers do a great job of making things work, things can't be perfect all the time. This is a primary reason why folks should try out different distros when they are getting into Linux... to discover which distro works best with their particular hardware.

Cheers

Staff online

Latest posts