Adding a Static IP

david.tannenbaum

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm fairly new to Linux. I'm currently running Ubuntu 18.04. (are people happy with Ubuntu 20.x? this isn't the reason for posting)

I am trying to connect my Ubuntu 18.04 machine to some Cisco gear. When I went to the network settings via the GUI, all I see is either setting up a VPN or a Network Proxy. There is no IPv4 (nor IPv6) tab. Can anyone help me out here? Do I need to install something?

Turning my wireless adapter off didn't make a difference.

(I did try to assign the IP Address via the command line but that didn't work. I didn't understand what I was being told. This is a different issue)

G'day david, and Welcome to linux.org

I cant help you with changing IP addresses etc etc.......but.....

Word of advice

There is an app called Timehsift ....possibly available via the Software Manager/Centre on your Ubuntu...
It acts in a similar manner to system restore on windows....

Just in case you manage to screw network settings up......It would be good to install Timeshift and take a snapshot of the system before you start shifting stuff around.
Saving the snapshot to an external drive is of course preferred, but even saving it to the same drive the operating system is on will get you out of trouble if something goes south.

It may be easier to follow this to install Timeshift via the Terminal:
Installing Timeshift in Linux
1. For Ubuntu and Linux Mint
Open the terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and execute the below commands one by one....click on Enter between each one.(copy and paste the commands below into Terminal to avoid mistakes)

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Then just go to Menu....type in Timeshift....and it will be there.
Settings...select RSYNC
Location...select where you will store the snapshot/s
Schedule...if you have a drive with plenty of space you can elect to save several snapshots.....or just keep one or two...
Users...Include All
Filters...under the + icon select both lines
Thats enough....go back to main screen of Timeshift, and select Create

grab a coffee.....5 minutes approx

Members online