Adding windows 10 to systemd-boot

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
I've been trying to add windows 10 to systemd-boot manager, but things aren't going quite according to plan.
I used
sudo vim /boot/efi/loader/loader.conf
Which opens an empty config file,

Then I tried using gparted to mount the windows EFI partition to see if I can copy the files manually, but gparted won't let me do that.

Screenshot from 2022-06-08 19-10-38.png

How can I add a windows 10 boot entry to systemd-boot? Right now the windows efi partition is under sda1.

There really isn't a "windows" efi and a linux "efi".
There is just one efi partition and everything for both goes in the same partition.

You can only have one /boot/efi per disk device.

There really isn't a "windows" efi and a linux "efi".
There is just one efi partition and everything for both goes in the same partition.

You can only have one /boot/efi per disk device.
Each of the respective operating systems is on their own device.

Then I tried using gparted to mount the windows EFI partition to see if I can copy the files manually, but gparted won't let me do that.

Normal users don't usually have access to /boot/efi, but root should be able to access it.
I haven't tried using gparted, but certainly you can access it using the terminal.console.

You won't be able to mount two /boot/efi paritions at the same time on the same system.
You'll mount to mount one under /mnt or someplace like that.
Typically it's not a good idea to mess around in there unless you know what you're doing.

You can't just copy files from one to another drive, the device paths and drive paths will be different.
Usually the OS does this for you.

try the simple approach, boot Linux [assuming you are using a Debian/Ubuntu based distro]
and try running
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --reinstall grub

try the simple approach, boot Linux [assuming you are using a Debian/Ubuntu based distro]
and try running
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --reinstall grub
most guides I read claim its not a matter of a single command to install grub. by the way PoP!_OS uses systemd-boot.

well if its Pop I will just wish you the best of luck getting it working

well if its Pop I will just wish you the best of luck getting it working
Actually I did. My pc is 8 years old now and it pleasantly surprises me. Turns out I need not bother with any boot managers at all. I set the drive where Linux is as primary. And whenever I want to run windows 10 for whatever temporary reason at all, my UEFI menu literally gives me a list of all bootable drives on my computer. I literally just click on the desired one and it run the bootloader of its associated operating system.

Those OS's are quite casual about being isolated from each other. Granted its a convoluted solution, but it will be fine