Advice on partitioning scheme for dual distros on older laptop

Halvor Raknes

Reaction score
Credits
I have a 9 year old laptop with 475 GB HD and would like some general suggestions on how to allocate partition space on the hard disk. I would like as much space as possible for storing media files. The dual combo I am leaning towards running is Linux Mint and EndeavourOS.

I would also like advice on how to save space by having shared config files for apps like web browsers and games.

Last edited:

If you want to use the whole HDD for Linux, instead of dual-booting etc, why not just let the OS take care of partitioning?

If you use e.g. Linux Mint there will come a point where you can choose "Use entire disk"

If you want to use the whole HDD for Linux, instead of dual-booting etc, why not just let the OS take care of partitioning?

If you use e.g. Linux Mint there will come a point where you can choose "Use entire disk"
I clarified my query that I am intending to run a dual boot Linux system. Sorry about that…

This is my opinion about the partitioning scheme (others will have different opinions)
/ 25 Gbs (Mint root)
/home 212 GBs (Mint)
/25 GBS (EndeavourOS root)
/home 212 GBS (EndeavourOS)

Should do the trick. As far as combining .config files it won't work well as Distros store some .configs in different locations.
But you could use a common partition if you wanted for media/ data files. your choice.

Also remember that the last distro installed will usuall control Grub boot loader.

As far as combining .config files it won't work well as Distros store some .configs in different locations.
But you could use a common partition if you wanted for media/ data files. your choice.
Right! I watched a video tutorial on doing just that, but from the comments I gathered that would be a risky proposition at best.

Thanks for the sizes advice also! Yes, I think a separate partition for media files would look nicer, but that's more cosmetics.

On another note, would using the same username and password on both distros be sufficient to avoid problems accessing files across boots?

I have a 9 year old laptop with 475 GB HD and would like some general suggestions on how to allocate partition space on the hard disk. I would like as much space as possible for storing media files. The dual combo I am leaning towards running is Linux Mint and EndeavourOS.

I would also like advice on how to save space by having shared config files for apps like web browsers and games.
I dual boot macos with linux mint and have 1Tb hard drive. partitioned my disk into 2 halves.

macos has 500 gig

linux mint has 500gig

I partitioned mine using macos disk utility , then installed linux mint onto the other partition

Members online

Latest posts