After Several Years I Borked It!

Bayou Bengal

Reaction score
Credits
Good afternoon fellow Linux lovers. I hate to say this, but after several years of reliable use, I finally got an update that crashed my machine. I think it's the new Virtualbox update that came down this morning. I just tested thaton my test laptop and now it's crashed. Yeah, I know, why didn't I test it on the test machine first? I guess because my middle name is "Hardhead." Anyway, when I try to boot into Linux, I'm using Mint Cinnamon 18.3, I get this error/notice. I don't have a clue what to do from there. This error pops up after I enter my password.

Y0VSKaL.jpg

If anyone has dealt with this error before and overcame it, I'd be forever grateful for your assistance. I have two machines borked at this point, I don't want to bork the third until these two are fixed.

Thanks!

https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...onnect-to-upstart-failed-to-connect-to-socket ?

one last hail mary: removed virtualbox-guest-x11 & rebooted and my system is back. I had previously removed virtualbox package because I noticed it had updates today, but I didn't realize that there was another package included in the offending update.

also: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=266431&hilit=virtualbox

also: https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...cinnamon-cannot-start-a-session/433659#433659

also: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/346136/linux-mint-18-64-bit-session-failed

Last edited:
Thanks arochester! I did that and got my Test Laptop back, now to try this machine. Have to jump over to the Linux side. Wish me luck!

All is well in the world again. My big desktop is back up running Linux with no lost files!

Interesting. I too am running Linux 18.3 cinnamon and also received the virtual box update.......with no ill effect at all.

A few days ago I uninstalled virtualbox...(fed up with it crashing/freezing).....I was going to pick it up again via software manager....but now....nah.......might just wait this one out

Edit to add: This is probably a good time to remind oneself about doing a backup

Interesting. I too am running Linux 18.3 cinnamon and also received the virtual box update.......with no ill effect at all.

Y'all had me a bit worried, but I let the update run this evening on Mint MATE 18.3 and also had no issues. I ran both VM's currently installed in VirtualBox and had no trouble running either one. Whew! :eek::D

Cheers

Wiz....I have a second pc here...affected by this ......I have a usb hd connected to it that stores timeshift 'backups'....how do I access that in order to fix this pc ?

I have accessed the usb hd....and I have a folder named 2018-03-26......inside that folder is :folder local host:::exclude.list:::info.json:::rsync.log:::rsync-log-changes.

ok....go back to your beer...all is well.

It took while...but i eventually realised that there was no grub screen on my wifes pc....the screen where you select which OS to run. There is only one os on the pc so the screen had been overlooked.

so.....i have a thumb drive with BOOT RPR on it.....booted to that.....unhid the boot/grub screen.....rebooted.....arrowed down on that screen to select 'advanced options'......then selected recovery.....then shell terminal (something like that...it gave me a terminal to work on)....typed in apt-get virtualbox --guest-x11 acknowledged that yes I wanted to remove it........done. typed exit...rebooted and there are smiles all 'round again ! one more reboot sorts out any graphical dramas

I am still interested to know how to access a timeshift 'backup' in an event like this.

Damn! I was about to leap into action, then I read #10

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, beer in hand (nice drop), yawns all around)

@Condobloke Brian regrets on the delay in noticing this one, been mucking about with Sabayon and have to update the Timeshift thread before anyone borks their Sabayon (@Lazydog is a user, I know).

Can you copy and paste over to Timeshift thread what is relevant, and we will deal with it there?

BTW if you want to have a Grub Menu always present on Te's PC, then just sudo nano into /etc/default/grub, put a # in front of

Code:
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0

save changes and exit and run

Code:
sudo update-grub

and reboot. That is if the Distro is Debian-based or Manjaro, I can tell you others if you need it.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

A few days ago I uninstalled virtualbox...(fed up with it crashing/freezing).....I was going to pick it up again via software manager....but now....nah.......might just wait this one out

Edit to add: This is probably a good time to remind oneself about doing a backup
I got a mint update just now and part of it was to remove the virtualbox packages. I didn't know I had them installed. They are gone off of all my Linux computers now!

...Actually, even better, @Bayou Bengal ... you've got Linux Mint 18.3, and it ships with Timeshift installed.

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Now that everything is fine, run a full snapshot with it, and use the comments field to describe.

Before any major updates are applied, run an incremental snapshot and then you are covered if updates go wrong :p

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I've been using Timeshift, but I'd need to get a whole lot better at using the terminal box. This borking wouldn't allow me to log in through the GUI, so I'd have had to figure out how to run Timeshift from the Terminal, which is something I need to learn. :eek:

Swing over to the thread and ask about it there ... it is a good subject to cover :)

Besides, I get lonely just talking to myself there :D:D:D (as if)

Cheers

Wiz
BTW not now, gotta cook some tea and then hit the sack, lol.

Members online

Latest posts