All in Ones - Brother and Canon

In light of the above, I'd be better off setting this up via Wi Fi, but what is the code I'm looking for? -

Is it on the back of the Broadband router - the same password that I used to activate my Broadband connection?

Update:

This is the exact design of a similar to the previous cable I was trying to fit into the Canon, but the above link is the correct one.

The design of the Canon is excellent all round. The alternative end of the cable is positioned further back within the Canon instead of at the forefront (as per the USB cable), but as I've since found a spare cable (which is the Exact fitting), the positioning of the socket for the alternative end is immaterial, as it's rendered useful.

I'd be interested in Wi Fi option information and if the password I need is the one required to activate my Broadband connection, but as Wired, USB/other end cables are concerned, I now have success.

PS: I'll see if there's any information on this forum or on MX Linux's forum, or may introduce a new thread within this forum to find a resolution to an ongoing technical issue -

Either MX Linux or my USB stick with MX Linux 21 on it is causing regularly freezing, and regular automatic closing of Document windows and my Browser.

For instance, I can start writing or editing a document, and within seconds, it freezes, leaving me to wait up to several minutes before I can resume editing it, or it closes automatically.

Likewise to Browsing. I have the default installed Firefox, and this is more problematic, or at least whatever is causing the browser (as it might not be the browser, itself), as this can close before I've had chance to log in to my e-mail or access any other web sites within less than 10 seconds, or it can stay active for up to several minutes before closing.

Like documents, it regularly freezes. This doesn't happen in Windows, so the technical fault must lie within MX Linux 21 or my USB stick.

Last edited:

I've tried to follow your instructions, but am still struggling, as nothing links to the Terminal so I can't type in the Printing and Scanning commands.

I've also found that my USB cable at one has a different fitting at the other end - which doesn't seem to fit, despite turning the thin, rectangular end of the cable all four ways, hoping I've not worn the cable socket.

Maybe Gdebi would be my best option (but I've never used it), also as the Persistence isn't saving, so I'm having to reactivate everything from scratch, including a UK keyboard and entering my Broadband connection password, as well as adjust the Clock which is in the wrong time zone every time.
Gdebi will not work on these types files they must be installed per my post # 19 - if you have installed the packages to open the scanner - open the terminal and type in
Code:
scangearmp2
this will open the scanner app and will scan for your Printer/Scanner - the printer should be listed under Settings-Printers
Also what do you mean by "as nothing links to the Terminal"?
That is just a standard printer cable nothing special should just plug right in - left side on amazon photo goes to USB port on computer right side goes to Printer located the back usually - it will only fit in one way

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you have downloaded the DEB packages from @wizardfromoz suggestion you have to extract the contents once extracted you will see this
View attachment 11754

Now open the cnijfilter2-5.90-1-deb folder folder you will see this
View attachment 11755

Now right click inside this folder and open a terminal and type in
Code:
sudo bash ./install.sh
this is for the Printer
View attachment 11756
Now do the exact same thing for the Scanner which the folder will be called scangearmp2

NOTE Make sure the printer is on and hooked up first - this right click menu will be a little different this is from PCManFM not Thunar which Xfce uses

Screenshot_2022-02-13_23-05-27.png

Gdebi will not work on these types files they must be installed per my post # 19 - if you have installed the packages to open the scanner - open the terminal and type in
Code:
scangearmp2
this will open the scanner app and will scan for your Printer/Scanner - the printer should be listed under Settings-Printers
Also what do you mean by "as nothing links to the Terminal"?
That is just a standard printer cable nothing special should just plug right in - left side on amazon photo goes to USB port on computer right side goes to Printer located the back usually - it will only fit in one way
By luck, as I'm new to this, I eventually found the Terminal after initially not being able to link to it from the previous command, and the command registered successfully (I'm not used to screenshots, so the window is a little off centre, but you'll get the general idea from the photo), but because what Appears to be the correct cable doesn't fit at one end, I'd be better off setting up the Drivers via WiFi.

Viewing another link, this is the same design, but in Silver:

I could do this via my Smartphone, if this option is also available in conjunction with Linux, if I knew Which app of Canon is required. There are multiple Canon apps, so I'm totally stuck, but even then, the Persistence settings aren't saving, so I'm having to re-activate everything from scratch - Clock time/zone, Keyboard settings from USA to UK, Broadband back of the router Password to go online (which is probably what I need for Wi-Fi, but unsure).

Last edited:
Once you have downloaded the DEB packages from @wizardfromoz suggestion you have to extract the contents once extracted you will see this
View attachment 11754

Now open the cnijfilter2-5.90-1-deb folder folder you will see this
View attachment 11755

Now right click inside this folder and open a terminal and type in
Code:
sudo bash ./install.sh
this is for the Printer
View attachment 11756
Now do the exact same thing for the Scanner which the folder will be called scangearmp2

NOTE Make sure the printer is on and hooked up first - this right click menu will be a little different this is from PCManFM not Thunar which Xfce uses
New Update:

Good News and Bad News:-

Persistence doesn't Save, so I have to re-apply multiple settings every time I start up Linux;

Canon - Complete success with the Printing - I've just done a two small paragraph test and it works perfectly :);

The Scanning has run into a problem.

Should I ignore this warning?:

Screenshot_2022-02-14_16-04-55.png

David, the following Youtube vid may be of assistance to you, on persistence.

I haven't used the Persistence feature on MX so I cannot comment there.

And I have not used a Canon for maybe 17 years, so likewise, not much help. But I will watch and read and if there is anything I find of value, I will step up.

Cheers

Chris

If you know the command is correct you can ignore it some terminals pop that up some terminals do not depends on the terminal
That error message I scanned and uploaded must be intermittent, as when I retried the Scan function, the error message didn't appear, and the Canon scanner installed perfectly, and like with printouts, I did a Scan test and the document also printed perfectly.

David, the following Youtube vid may be of assistance to you, on persistence.

I haven't used the Persistence feature on MX so I cannot comment there.

And I have not used a Canon for maybe 17 years, so likewise, not much help. But I will watch and read and if there is anything I find of value, I will step up.

Cheers

Chris
I'll eventually be using Linux full time, but when I do use MX Linux 21, I'm running into some puzzling technical problems that didn't exist in MX Linux 17.1.

It could be my USB stick - it's a Philips (I think 32 GB) stick.

If it is, hopefully the contents of MX Linux 21 can be copied to a different USB stick, although, as a last resort, I could always reinstall from scratch, from the excellent simple and fast to use Balena Etcher program.

In the meantime, I can confirm that both the Printer and Scanner sections of the Canon work perfectly, as a Wired USB connection, but I'm unsure if Canon has Wi-Fi and Smartphone compatibility with Linux.

I will also study the MX Linux "Persistence" video shortly narrated by Run with the Dolphin.

I've already explored some functions in the new MX menu "Persistence" options.

Unsure if they've saved the files, as I found that I have a document in Windows that I've since transferred to my e-mail account so that I can retrieve it in Linux, but I'll restart back into Linux in a moment, in the hope that the browser stays active long enough for me to use it.

Should I switch to Grub Bootloader during Start Up when loading Linux?

I've always connected to the standard (top, first option), but am wondering if the Grub Bootloader would resolve the intermittent, but regular freezing that I experience with MX Linux 21.

I'm just trying to narrow down as to whether it's MX Linux 21, itself, a setting relating to MX that needs changing or removing, or whether it's my 32 GB USB stick that's causing these technical issues.

Also, will the Canon TS6350 also run on Wi-Fi and a Smartphone with MX Linux 21?

At the boot menu:
advanced options -> save options -> grubsave
This way you won't have to select the desired options at every boot
YouTube video on your Canon here -

At the boot menu:
advanced options -> save options -> grubsave
This way you won't have to select the desired options at every boot
YouTube video on your Canon here -
Hi Lord Boltar

Thanks for the link and your information.

In the end, I opted to install the printer and scanner via the Command Lind code you gave me, but thus link, while not stating in its contents, if Smartphones can operate the Canon with Linux, it has invaluable narration to compliment yours.

Staff online

Members online