Alpine Linux QEMU need root to install ?

Lx_pollywog

Reaction score
Credits
Newbee trying different distros on qemu gnome-Boxes using Mint os. Have tried a dozen operating systems and so far Alpine Linux is the only one that requires my Root Password for install. Why ?

I was looking to have Linux & windows on 1 machine & prefer not having a linux atop a windows system so the other way i found is Alpine-Docker containers will run a windows on a linux based system. Thus my interest in taking a look atr Alpine.

First time I actually tried booting up Alpine from the iso because of your question but I don't get it asking for my root password when booting up the virtual machine. At what point of booting the iso in the virtual machine are you getting asked for your root password? Also you can run any GNU/Linux distribution and run a Windows virtual machine on top of that it doesn't have to be Alpine.

A)
I press 'Create' from iso gnome-boxes, machine starts boot until asking 'localhost login' then the 'password'. That's means asking for the Root. Other distros i tried have basically simply asked to create a user name and password.

B)
Read a million times to avoid directly dual booting windows on linux. Newbee-me trying to play safe because i will install a full suite of graphic software & i absolute do not want a crash. This is why i was thinking a DOCKER-Alpine combo.use

I don't use gnome-boxes myself but I just installed gnome-boxes and tried installing Alpine Linux and it doesn't ask me for a root password. I created a machine then selected that I wanted to create it from an iso, then I selected Alpine as template and then next and it booted up.

Last edited:
Newbee trying different distros on qemu gnome-Boxes using Mint os. Have tried a dozen operating systems and so far Alpine Linux is the only one that requires my Root Password for install. Why ?
What do you mean that "requires your Root Password for install"? You mean at boot? Or you mean gnome-boxes is asking your root password? Never used gnome-boxes, but I have alpine installed in a VM on qemu-kvm, though I don't use a GUI but command line only and didn't have this issue. You should have qemu-system-x86_64 installed, so you could try
Code:
$ cd /path/to/alpine.iso
then run the ISO in qemu via command line
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64  -machine q35 -cdrom alpine.iso  -boot d -m 1024 -vga vmware -display gtk,gl=on  -accel kvm
And see if it stills ask for your password. Change values as you see fit, for example, you can use -machine pc and -vga virtio instead of the ones used above.

Last edited:
I press 'Create' from iso gnome-boxes, machine starts boot until asking 'localhost login' then the 'password'. That's means asking for the Root. Other distros i tried have basically simply asked to create a user name and password.
You mean this?
Sdm0dHw.png

Is that what you're seeing? Just type root and hit enter. It isn't asking for your localhost name, I guess you were typing your username, the one you use in Mint and then your password, right? Well, that's not it, Alpine login to root by default with no password.

pbLUsYU.png

You might want to read here https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Main_Page

I would not have guessed that so quick. Thanks
And plus+ A 'Tolkem' that is a very meticulous reply.

Last edited:

Members online