alt+sysq + REISUB doesn't respond

The best thing you could do with this would be to reinstall the OS

The ACTUAL cause of this problem/s is unknown.

It is highly unlikely that an Update is the cause....if it was the problem would be all over the internet.....and it is not.

The best thing you could do with this would be to reinstall the OS

The ACTUAL cause of this problem/s is unknown.

It is highly unlikely that an Update is the cause....if it was the problem would be all over the internet.....and it is not.

When the person passed the laptop to me, I reinstalled ubuntu to start it from scratch. It started well, but along the time it struggled and froze more and more.

Maybe there is a Linux OS more adequate to this old laptop than Ubuntu? Could that be the thing to consider when you say to reinstall the OS?

Please try this

open Terminal
copy and paste this in...

balooctl disable

hit enter

Copy and paste the result here please

Please try this

open Terminal
copy and paste this in...

balooctl disable

hit enter

Copy and paste the result here please

Code:
ludi@ludi:~$ balooctl disable

Command 'balooctl' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install baloo-kf5
sudo apt install baloo4

Sounds to me like the graphics chip may be over heating and failing.

Cleaning out dust and/or replacing thermal pads could help - but not very practical for anyone not familiar with tearing apart laptops. Can you look into the side vents and observe if there is an accumulation of dust?

One quick way to get an indication of whether or not an overheating graphics chip may be the culprit would be to try and introduce additional cooling to the underside of the machine. A cooling pad would be ideal but any contrivance which will introduce an increased cool air flow across the air vents will do.
If it changes anything then you would have a good indicator.

It does not sound like a memory issue to me but running MemTest86+ from a "Live" iso or install image would eliminate that question once and for all. I think it is still included on the Linux Mint and possibly Ubuntu Live images.

Sounds to me like the graphics chip may be over heating and failing.

Cleaning out dust and/or replacing thermal pads could help - but not very practical for anyone not familiar with tearing apart laptops. Can you look into the side vents and observe if there is an accumulation of dust?

I have opened a few laptops before. Could do the cleaning to see if it improves.

It does not sound like a memory issue to me but running MemTest86+ from a "Live" iso or install image would eliminate that question once and for all. I think it is still included on the Linux Mint and possibly Ubuntu Live images.

I have ordered a usb drive. I will create an ISO image as soon as it arrives.

Changing from Firefox to Seamonkey seemed to help... until now. The laptop just froze again, until I got tired of waiting and closed the lid without the power cable and it went on suspended mode.

@Condobloke Should I install baloo?

Definitely NOT.

In Terminal type top and then watch for the highest consumer of %cpu, %mem....the user name is on the left hand side

Do you notice any decrease in available space on the hard drive ?

Definitely NOT.

In Terminal type top and then watch for the highest consumer of %cpu, %mem....the user name is on the left hand side

cpu and mem vary between 50 and 65 for cpu and stable at 37 for mem, user Ludi, command Seamonkey.

In Disks this is what I have:
Screenshot from 2020-08-09 15-08-50.png

I have opened the laptop and cleaned the dust. The ventilation system was quite clean. But I will start working on the bottom floor, where the temperature is much lower than the one in the room upstairs, to see if the laptop holds longer without struggling.

Members online