AMD apu external monitors not detected

yegger

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I bought an acer swift 3 with amd ryzen 4500u cpu. It has only un apu, not dedicated gpu. With Windows 10 no issues all my monitors work perfectly (one direct hdmi and another hdmi through usb c dongle.

But with linux distros they are not even detected, xrandr shows me only the internal screen. I've tried elementary os, ubuntu, fedora but none of them actually fix the issue.
I even tried to upgrade kernel to latest 5.8 and even 5.7 but didn't solve my problem.

I think it's related to amd drivers not working properly or this apu not beeing well integrated with kernels.

Could you help me because I really need multiple monitors.

Thank you in advance.

I did not because I don't see any screens in there nor with xandr command.

screenshot.png

As you can see (sry it's french) there is only one monitor (says unknown display btw) and no others..

Hi,
I have the same problem with an HP Elitebook 845 g7 (AMD ryzen pro 4750U)

Hi,
I was having the same issue, with additional no brightness control. HP Envy ryzen 5 4500u.
Fixed it by connecting my laptop to the external monitor and clicking the software updater. It installed a new kernel version 5.8 from 5,4 and more additional drivers after completion and restart all was well.

Last edited:
Monitor and brightness issues have been fixed with latest kernels and I'm using Ubuntu 20.10, not problems related to display anymore.

But wake up issue is still going on, meaning that I can't put the laptop to sleep because it will show a blank screen and not responding.

Ubuntu still has a long way to be able to compete with windows which btw recognizes my fingerprint reader.

Ubuntu is not usable for me as it is and that's annoying cause I would rather use Ubuntu than windows but for now I can't.

Sleep issues are often related to those amd cpus but everything I found doesn't work so...

Done with linux for now even tough it breaks my heart .

Damn shame.

@yegger have you tried a Manjaro?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online