An article about Ubuntu support length.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This was actually an article on the other site - but that article was like 8 lines long and was just me testing some plugins.

This is actually full-length and far more descriptive and informative.

(Now to redirect the old article!)

As always, feedback is pretty awesome.

electric current usually half a phase if we are lucky and wifi patchy- comment on tips us site timed out :any this was going to be my reply :

i found that interesting and informative, partly since i never got that deep into Ubuntu nor other Debian related distro. But i have gleamed, putting it simply that there are 2 elements to a distro: general updates to packages and also security updates while distro is maintained. After that security updates whilst other elements of distro are not maintained.

To digress a little the situation in another distro - Slackware was that packages of the stable release such as php where not updated (last stable release 4 years ago) but there were security updates. That pushed me to use slackware current which is effectively a "rolling release" .
I didn't find a problem using basically what is a rolling release (slackware current); since i got used to it and now to cover all bases i'm now looking at other distros leaning towards those with rolling releases eg currently testing EndeavourOS .

Attachments

• linux-tips.png
    linux-tips.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 232
i'm now looking at other distros leaning towards those with rolling releases

I've had good luck with openSUSE's Tumbleweed. It's a pretty solid rolling release.

i think i'm quite taken with Arch based - got Apache serving php on EndeavourOS and can edit as none root using geany ; firewall up, rkhunter installed , clamav installed and freshclam working, timeshift installed ; plus software i've not come across in Slackware like "lynis" . Plus really good documentation on Arch wiki .

lynis is on slackbuilds - i just never came across it i think i just got familiar with Slackware where as , with something new i'm looking in every corner

Last edited:
OK, you've got me :) . I'll bite.

and there won’t be another LTS release until 22.04 – which, according to Ubuntu’s versioning format will be in July of 2022.

Shouldn't that be April 2022, or is there something special about 22.04?

Friday here in Oz

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Shouldn't that be April 2022, or is there something special about 22.04?

Thanks!

And fixed!

I'm surprised I make as few mistakes as I do!

Sweet, I've smashed a button over there :)

I think I was thinking about the end of support for **.10 releases at the time and just wrote July.

I do proofread everything, but proofing your own work isn't all that easy. I am legit surprised that I make as few mistakes as I do. It probably doesn't help that I sometimes wait until the evening to write.

I'm still a bit annoyed that I had to do all that work a second time just to get approved for AdSense and to get indexed by the major search engines. That involved many, many hours. Ah well... It should be mostly bug free and the site should load pretty quickly. So, there's that.

Staff online