And the codename for the next version of Ubuntu is...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
They were slow in getting the codename out there, like very slow. We normally know it right after the official release.

It's going to be Kinetic Kudu.

I'll assume you know what kinetic means. Kudu are:

Thanks for posting this, I'd not see the source was Łukasz/sil2100 as I watch for the bug report that is generated that leads to the repository being created.

Omg is usually correct; but I wanted something official, which you've now provided :)

Yeah it's slow, it's now Tuesday my local time, and I'm still on a stable release... I can't recall the last cycle where I'd not bumped back to development during the weekend post-release...

I got it from Leokolb in #lubuntu_devel - and it's on the Ubuntu Discourse, so I figured it was probably correct. I searched previously, but hadn't searched today. It just happened to be a comment in chat, so I looked it up and posted. I figured someone else would post it on the Lubuntu Discourse.

Oddly, I actually knew what kudu were beforehand, 'cause of National Geographic or maybe BBC documentaries. Well, sorta... I knew it was a spiral prong antelope type of thing, but didn't know there are two of 'em or anything like that.

Alas, there's no daily .iso yet. That's okay. I'm enjoying the quick break. I'm sure they'll be rolling down the pipe soon enough. "Once more into the breach, dear friends...!"

Alas, there's no daily .iso yet. That's okay. I'm enjoying the quick break. I'm sure they'll be rolling down the pipe soon enough. "Once more into the breach, dear friends...!"

I'd not expect the daily to be started for a week if not longer.. and even then it's mostly to test the changes in setting up for the release are correct/valid.

The bug report I'm looking for causes the infrastructure to be modified to handle the new release, ie. a scan currently of http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ will not reveal anything available..

I'm a little worried that this upcoming release will be the bus release for me... I've seen kinetic a bit lately as I live in bus territory (no local train line) and it's the latest name of the the ~local bus company .

I'd not expect the daily to be started for a week if not longer.. and even then it's mostly to test the changes in setting up for the release are correct/valid.

Not the last time, but the time before last, I want to say there were zero days between them. Then there was a bit of a break. The release was one day, the following day there was a new .iso. That's my memory. As I recall, I didn't actually use zsync and just downloaded it because I didn't realize I could use the old one as a starting point for the new one with some careful flags.

But, it's good to know about the bug report. That too is something I didn't know. I just refresh a couple of times a day to check for a new daily build that I can test.

Then, well, I'll enjoy the break. I know the first ones don't *need* to be tested, certainly not with much rigor, but I'll probably test 'em anyhow.

Joey (OMG) often uses the lp. bug ID as his source, but it hadn't been raised when his article was done, and I didn't see a source provided.

I'm guessing Joey saw either https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/kinetic-kudu-release-notes/27976 or sil2100/Łukasz sticking his head into room(s) on IRC & announcing the name (I saw both).

I didn't see the bug I usually note scroll by in #ubuntu-bugs-announce, but it was ~like this one and being of no consequence I'm not searching for it. The one I usually note is the creation of the repos, but they're available (all except partner)

Code:
Get:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu kinetic InRelease [71.4 kB]

More importantly - enjoy a break !!

(I'm hoping the upstream Debian/LXQt team finish well before our freeze as their next bookworm freeze misses kinetic too; and I'd rather we can use save work; and our testing can help them too)

Members online