angry at the whole computing industry

the way i view knoppix is a swiss army knife on a usb stick

Not sure what that means, but I'd guess system rescue, and stuff like that. Way out of my league. My needs are fairly simple. Get on the internet, power through the CA nazis' 101 security errors blockade, play videos, etc., and do that with minimum fuss and irritation. The things most care about (wi-fi junk, support for the latest&greatest hardware, samba, libreoffice, and so on) I have no use for, so my demands on Linux is pretty basic.

It's been over a year since I tried Knoppix....did they ever get it to connect to the internet automatically, or does it still require messing with...like Puppy?

I'm quite fond of Slax to run in RAM. It's small enough for a CD, but you can use persistence if you use a USB instead. It is a VERY BASIC Linux at that small size, but it is Debian based and you can install more software in it with persistence. It is not something you want to build into a big distro though... it's meant to be simple and fast.

How simple? Does it connect to the internet automatically like the larger distros (MX Linux, RoboLinux, Kodachi, etc.), or is fussing with some sort of internet connection wizard required, like with Puppy? Does it play videos & sound on Youtube, Putlockers, or 123movies out of the box?

I don't use flashdrives, and this persistence defeats the idea of using LiveCD...rather like installing TAILS. At least that is how I view it. I have XP Pro for that, plus will soon have MX Linux installed on my secondary HDD, so that's enough for me. I use LiveCDs/DVDs exactly because they are read-only , and do not leave anything behind. Aside from giving me access to the Darknet, that is the major attraction of TAILS and Kodachi Linux, that both disappear on 'restart', and make no changes. This is sort of like the non-techie version of RAMdisk apps and VirtualBox.

How simple? Does it connect to the internet automatically like the larger distros (MX Linux, RoboLinux, Kodachi, etc.), or is fussing with some sort of internet connection wizard required, like with Puppy? Does it play videos & sound on Youtube, Putlockers, or 123movies out of the box?
I just booted a Slax CD (version 9.11.0) on an XP-era laptop. Internet is immediate with ethernet cable (no setup needed), and the network manager also finds the built-in wireless. Chromium browser plays YouTube video with sound without a problem. I don't know about the other sites you mention, but Netflix, for example, might not work because they have very strict browser requirements.

Slax is very minimal, but it works well for me. It may or may not work well for you too.

Cheers

I just booted a Slax CD (version 9.11.0) on an XP-era laptop. Internet is immediate with ethernet cable (no setup needed), and the network manager also finds the built-in wireless. Chromium browser plays YouTube video with sound without a problem. I don't know about the other sites you mention, but Netflix, for example, might not work because they have very strict browser requirements.

Slax is very minimal, but it works well for me. It may or may not work well for you too.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if Ebay has a Slax CD/DVD available for cheap...if not, then $10 at the local computer shop will do it. Always looking for distros than run in RAM (like Puppy) but don't require fussing with (unlike Puppy). I only use free sites for watching videos, so no Netflix and all that rot. Had my fill of pay-for-play junk with Comcast. I'm back to watching movies/TV shows like when I was a kid...for free.

Ah, glad you came by on this thread - I haven't ever used knoppix, so wasn't aware it's more of a livecd style.
Knoppix is one of the very first Linux distros I ever ran. Used it to repair a Windows 2000 machine. Worked flawlessly. I was so impressed that I was hooked on Linux ever since!

Tried Porteus last week...didn't like it. Focus on CLI stuff. Guess I'll stick with Kodachi and TAILS for LiveCD use.

the only browsers i can get with xp are four years old, and they don't work
If from interesst:
To switch from Win to Linux does make me now already some many years efforts and challenges.
In the mean-while I am happy with my real last Win-version XP, which I built together - all the needed environments - in the last about 10/15 years.
also the most needed there, a working browser.
Therefor I can recommend the still being kept current the browser MyPal - currently - mypal 68.13.7 en https://www.mypal-browser.org/download.html
(The newest - but with care - 68.13.8b https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/releases.)

It's interesting you there is no public download link for slax.

But if you fill out a few questions and enter your email address, they'll send you a download link.

But if you fill out a few questions and enter your email address, they'll send you a download link.
There is a dim gray link below that you can click to download Slax without giving your email. You have to step through a couple of questions, Debian or Slackware? 32-bit or 64-bit?

BTW, this is a 5-year old thread and not likely to gain much traction. ;)

Skinning through on my phone and I don't actually see a good reason for reviving this thread.

download Slax without giving your email
Sorry, no. No matter which steps You choose, it leads to have to give an eMail-adress. And having to give a mail-adress rejects me.
Some others also may prefer to like to know, before they have to face it all individuelly first there, when they do not like that also.

Skinning through on my phone and I don't actually see a good reason for reviving this thread.
Getting - coming - just fresh and new to Linux - or any other topics -, does not exclude old contributions at all.
And for one or two supplements just, better create a new contribution ?

@visionhelp

Sorry, no. No matter which steps You choose, it leads to have to give an eMail-adress.

That is not correct, the advice given by @atanere was.

My screenshots show it below.

X3rj7wG.png

and

MrS62mO.png

That being said, I agree with @KGIII where he said

...I don't actually see a good reason for reviving this thread.

@visionhelp if you wish to pursue this further, I will move the most recent posts above to a new Thread in your name - let me know next 24 hours, please.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts