another newbie broken desktop

funky9

Reaction score
Credits
Hi
This is Greg and I've developed a trait, in my old age, I like to see how things work. And I'm disliking "windows" more and more each day, as I grow older.
I finally broke my "Tessa". I was adding things in terminal, like Kodi and Mythtv, to see how things worked and if I liked them.
In the process of removing Mythtv I seem to have caused a glitch with "Cinnamon". Every time I click on the desktop, it (desktop) crashes and asks if I want to restart it.(and I do, of course) I was wondering if there was a way to reinstall the desktop without deleting "Tessa" and restoring all my files. I really like working in the terminal because it's faster and really intuitive. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi
This is Greg and I've developed a trait, in my old age, I like to see how things work. And I'm disliking "windows" more and more each day, as I grow older.
I finally broke my "Tessa". I was adding things in terminal, like Kodi and Mythtv, to see how things worked and if I liked them.
In the process of removing Mythtv I seem to have caused a glitch with "Cinnamon". Every time I click on the desktop, it (desktop) crashes and asks if I want to restart it.(and I do, of course) I was wondering if there was a way to reinstall the desktop without deleting "Tessa" and restoring all my files. I really like working in the terminal because it's faster and really intuitive. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

DUUUUUHHHHHHH

Well that was easy!! I answered my own post. I went to terminal and reinstalled Tessa. Everything works

Hey @funky9 , as well as a welcome to linux.org :),

If you have your Tessa back the way you want it, use Timeshift, it is already installed.

See my article here https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/ and ask any questions there.

Before you introduce software that is outside of your Distro's repositories, it is wise to run an On Demand snapshot of Timeshift and in that way, if things heads south for the winter, you can roll back your system.

Enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online