Another one to the pile

Noisebox

Reaction score
Credits
Morning Gang!

Adding myself to your forums. Long time Windows user (and Windows "9" will be my last Windows version) and casual *nix user, with a strong preference for Debian-based distros. Systems Admin (Windows) by profession, fetish photographer by passion. Been experimenting with *nix since SuSE Linux was sold in a box in retail stores. But given the direction of where Windows is going, I need to get a jump start on using it on a serious basis. Steam/Proton has solved my extremely modest gaming needs, which leaves the photography program LightRoom, which is going to be something of a problem to replace as I'm rather heavily invested in its workflow. On occasion I use PhotoShop, but it's such a light use that practically anything else will work.

I currently have Crunchbang plus plus on an Asus laptop and occasional power management issues aside with sleep, it's running great and the minimalist Openbox DE is just fantastic. My main workstation is a Dell Precision T7610 with twin Xeons, and AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 GFX card, waaaay too many SAS drives on Dell's RAID card a LSI SAS2 2308, a pair of PCIe m.2 cards and 64GB of ECC Registered DDR3 RAM.

So really, I'm here to learn and find options when Windows "9"...Windows 8.1 embedded Industry Pro with a Windows 7 GUI, goes out of support in a few years, but I'd rather not be caught off guard when that times rolls around.

Cheers!
NB

Hello @Noisebox,
Welcome to Linux.org forums, enjoy!

Yeah, interesting..the usual names bandied about there. I dislike having to use multiple programs depending on what my subject matter is (my experience matches the author in this regards) but I do very little editing, I get it right in my camera (helps to have a studio where I can control everything) and post my results very nearly as shot.
I may have to revisit DarkTable, it's been some years since I last used it, perhaps the engine underneath has improved.

Welcome to the forums! Maybe this will ease your transition issues with LightRoom: https://fixthephoto.com/lightroom-for-linux.html
I did once try LR under Wine and after fighting to install it (yes I know emulation is a PITA but damn was that a convoluted process to do) it did run well enough. It is an option though to be perfectly frank, if I"m dumping Windows, might as well dump it all, and go all native application. I have some spare systems I can try this on and see how well it's improved as of late.

A few Photo editors come to mind
GIMP - is an advanced photo editor for Linux
Krita - is a creative Linux photo editor for raster images
Inkscape - is an illustration editor
Pinta - photo editing application that works similarly to Windows Paint

fetish photographer

Welcome aboard!

Just a quick reminder; we are a PG13 site. So, you probably can't share some of your hobby with us.

Welcome to the Forum.
happy0005.gif

Welcome @Noisebox to linux.org, enjoy your time with us.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome to the forums,
sit back, relax, kick off your shoes, grab a beer and enjoy the ride

Members online