Antivirus: AVG or ClamAV ?

C

chrbar

Hello,

I would like to install an antivirus on my NAS server, running Debian 6.0.8 (Squeeze).

I found several free antivirus solutions, some are out of date, thus I kept AVG (now free for personal and commercial use) and ClamAV (which is OpenSource).

Do you uses (or have tried) one of these solutions?
Do you know which is the best?
Do you have some advices?

I would like a solution that moves infected files to quarantine folder, instead of delete them.

Thanks for your help!
Chris

There are different opinions about whether Linux needs an antivirus at all. It might depend on the circumstances e.g. a server that has multiple users and gets infected by Windows. Some say it does, some say it doesn't.

Look at things like http://www.howtogeek.com/135392/htg...t-need-an-antivirus-on-linux-and-when-you-do/ and http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/items/viruses/index.php?lang=

Both AVG and ClamAV will quarantine any virus but will not truly remove it.

Then there is the issue of Android. Android being a branch of Linux. There are thoughts that it is not true virii that infect Android but other forms of malware. Look at something like https://www.lookout.com/resources/know-your-mobile/android-virus

In my opinion, no antivirus software is needed, but if you must have one, then I would choose ClamAV due to speed, performance, and the program's open-source.

We run AV on our public facing servers where customers upload data. Also we run it on the select few samba servers we have. Seeing as how Windows hosts are touching those files.

I just thought I would jump in with my thoughts as I see a lot of opinions about use of AV. I for one would highly recommend people make informed decisions about security. Yes, Linux is currently a very safe system that does not have many issues with getting viruses.

This does not mean your invincible. I enjoyed laughing at all the Mac people who thought they were bulletproof..... that is until multiple high profile viruses hit the Mac platform. Yet there are still plenty of people on Macs who happily bury their head in the sand and pretend they can't be touched by any virus.

The reason Linux has so few issues is because of the small user base. The people writing viruses are aiming for the larger surface area. This normally means Windows, but as with the Mac, they are branching out and starting to target other systems. The more popular Linux becomes the more likely it will start to see viruses and other malware. So now is a good time to start thinking ahead.

Now that I have that little rant out of the way. It is also just good practice to run AV especially on something like a NAS. Sure your Linux box might not get infected by whatever virus that happens along, BUT it very well might become a "carrier" that then infects other machines. So do you really want to be that guy who is ignorantly infecting everyone around you?

For networks there is a big distinction between "security" and "antivirus protection". AV is just an aspect of Linux server security, and its importance can be arguable (see all the other posts in this thread :)) For servers generally intrusions are the biggest issue you'll face so proper configuration of iptables is important as well as an IDS (intrusion detection system) the most popular open-source option is Snort

Of course I've never had a NAS server, maybe typical server security issues don't apply but if its on a network and users can log in to it (even just one user - you), there is the potential for intrusion.

There is another thread around here where we discussed AV for Linux...

**Note even Symantec is in the AV for Linux game now.

In my opinion, no antivirus software is needed, but if you must have one, then I would choose ClamAV due to speed, performance, and the program's open-source.
Do not be complacent!
I am a humble desktop user (Ubuntu) and I ran ClamAV a couple of times. The first time, it found NINETEEN THREATS and was only able to deal with 14 of them. I still have interesting events, like Ubuntu gradually stops responding to the mouse, then sometimes stops responding to the keyboard. Note that after I used ClamAV, the problem got worse. There was no improvement the second time I ran ClamAV, although I seem to remember only finding four threats (not the five I had previously been left with). At the moment, I am trying Windows 8.1, which goes to show how unhappy I was with ClamAV and Ubuntu.

But how does one get ClamAV set up on Windows.....? :< I set it up with the .msi Installer, yet I can't seem to run it..... :(

I just thought I would jump in with my thoughts as I see a lot of opinions about use of AV. I for one would highly recommend people make informed decisions about security. Yes, Linux is currently a very safe system that does not have many issues with getting viruses.

This does not mean your invincible. I enjoyed laughing at all the Mac people who thought they were bulletproof..... that is until multiple high profile viruses hit the Mac platform. Yet there are still plenty of people on Macs who happily bury their head in the sand and pretend they can't be touched by any virus.

The reason Linux has so few issues is because of the small user base. The people writing viruses are aiming for the larger surface area. This normally means Windows, but as with the Mac, they are branching out and starting to target other systems. The more popular Linux becomes the more likely it will start to see viruses and other malware. So now is a good time to start thinking ahead.

Now that I have that little rant out of the way. It is also just good practice to run AV especially on something like a NAS. Sure your Linux box might not get infected by whatever virus that happens along, BUT it very well might become a "carrier" that then infects other machines. So do you really want to be that guy who is ignorantly infecting everyone around you?

But what about Facebook and Twitter, the NYSE, NASA, Google, etc.....? Surely those are high-profile targets, and yet no one ever reports that they've been cracked into..... Of course, I could be wrong, but still..... :\

Do not be complacent!
I am a humble desktop user (Ubuntu) and I ran ClamAV a couple of times. The first time, it found NINETEEN THREATS and was only able to deal with 14 of them. I still have interesting events, like Ubuntu gradually stops responding to the mouse, then sometimes stops responding to the keyboard. Note that after I used ClamAV, the problem got worse. There was no improvement the second time I ran ClamAV, although I seem to remember only finding four threats (not the five I had previously been left with). At the moment, I am trying Windows 8.1, which goes to show how unhappy I was with ClamAV and Ubuntu.

Thanks for sharing. I find your experience quite unique and interesting. Either I am very lucky or you are very unlucky.:p

But how does one get ClamAV set up on Windows.....? :< I set it up with the .msi Installer, yet I can't seem to run it..... :(

I have never used ClamAV on Windows. Perhaps, it is command-line only. Are you getting specific error messages?

I have never used ClamAV on Windows. Perhaps, it is command-line only. Are you getting specific error messages?
Not really..... I can't even FIND it....... :3 Well, I see it in the "Modify/Remove Programs" list..... :D I wonder if I can use it through Cygwin.....? :)

Sorry, folks, for my lack of clarity. I am not using ClamAv on Windows! I have (I hope temporarily) abandoned Ubuntu, because of my experience with ClamAV (and the GUI to work it, the name of which escapes me). On Windows I am using Kaspersky.

Ubuntu & ClamAV, Windows 8.1 & Kaspersky.

I hope that clears things up.

Sorry, folks, for my lack of clarity. I am not using ClamAv on Windows! I have (I hope temporarily) abandoned Ubuntu, because of my experience with ClamAV (and the GUI to work it, the name of which escapes me). On Windows I am using Kaspersky.

Ubuntu & ClamAV, Windows 8.1 & Kaspersky.

I hope that clears things up.
I know that, silly..... :3 I was just curious about getting it up and running on Windows..... :D

Do not be complacent!
I am a humble desktop user (Ubuntu) and I ran ClamAV a couple of times. The first time, it found NINETEEN THREATS and was only able to deal with 14 of them.

:eek:

Hey, does this ClamAV only scan the running system? I mean, won't it also scan stuff on other partitions? Not that you installed Linux and Windows on different ones. Maybe windows threats were also spotted...

If Ubuntu is that infectible, consider a friendly distribution with a lesser user base.

Regardless, I shall say Windows will get the flu immeasurably more often than Ubuntu or any other popular Linux distribution. Just to bear in mind.

:eek:

Hey, does this ClamAV only scan the running system? I mean, won't it also scan stuff on other partitions? Not that you installed Linux and Windows on different ones. Maybe windows threats were also spotted...

If Ubuntu is that infectible, consider a friendly distribution with a lesser user base.

Regardless, I shall say Windows will get the flu immeasurably more often than Ubuntu or any other popular Linux distribution. Just to bear in mind.
Yeah, but this whole market share thing..... :/ Doesn't Google use Linux.....? If so, one wonders why all those crazy Russian Hacker's aren't attacking them..... XD

Yeah, but this whole market share thing..... :/ Doesn't Google use Linux.....? If so, one wonders why all those crazy Russian Hacker's aren't attacking them..... XD
tits tru, linux rider. Regardless, Google's server systems are extremely custom, I guess people attacking it won't really focus on much else.

Members online