Antivirus

There is antivirus for Linux, but it's usually not suggested since Linux usually isn't susceptible to viruses. You're likely to get several people replying telling you to not bother. Clamav is what is suggested if you really want AV on Linux. It should be available in your distros app repository. You can get it via the gui (possibly Synaptic) or by terminal with the command "sudo apt-get install clamav". I'm assuming by Linux 19.1, you mean Linux Mint 19.1. If I'm wrong and your distro doesn't use apt-get, replace that with the appropriate command.

There is antivirus for Linux, but it's usually not suggested since Linux usually isn't susceptible to viruses. You're likely to get several people replying telling you to not bother. Clamav is what is suggested if you really want AV on Linux. It should be available in your distros app repository. You can get it via the gui (possibly Synaptic) or by terminal with the command "sudo apt-get install clamav". I'm assuming by Linux 19.1, you mean Linux Mint 19.1. If I'm wrong and your distro doesn't use apt-get, replace that with the appropriate command.

Linux mint19.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Antivirus? What's that?

Seriously though, if you're smart enough to use Linux, then you're smart enough not to run random scripts.

There are some. In reality, unless you are running an Enterprise system for a paying customer, and that non-technical someone needs to be certain their Enterprise is protected, there is no need. You don't even need it to protect someone else's Windows as they will be running an AV out of necessity.

The network connection policy at my work is that you have to have virus scanner installed on your pc. I actually have a virus scanner installed for the sake of saying I have one installed in case some idiot decides that they want to kick me off the network because my pc doesn't comply to the network connection policy. I have sophos for linux free installed but seems that it's not available anymore. This is the link I always used to get it from, but seems that is redirected to a different page now.

It would be reasonable to assume then, that Sophos have discontinued their Free version for Linux...?

Although....I did find THIS

Last edited:
It would be reasonable to assume then, that Sophos have discontinued their Free version for Linux...?

Although....I did find THIS
Yeah that's where the old download url redirects to now, I contacted their support but they weren't able to answer why the free version download link is offline and being redirected. I am still able to retrieve updates so I'm not going to worry about it for now. Running the same free sophos antivirus on my vps running a mailserver. So will have to keep track on that just to be sure.

Actually, there are AV for Linux. I can't suggest to use them because, as @HaxNet said:
Seriously though, if you're smart enough to use Linux, then you're smart enough not to run random scripts.

But if you need an AV for enterprise/paranoid usage, you can use:
I don't feel to suggest anything else. But really, you don't need it if you kinda know what you're doing

I also use Eset and ssl cert of ssls.com for protecting my website. To confirm the site's reliability and get users ' trust, you must have an SSL certificate. It will ensure the stability of the resource, protect the transmitted data, and confirm that a particular person or organization owns the site.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts