Any certain laptop most suitable with Linux?

O

offspringftw

Currently I'm on my PC desktop. Mostly because I play games a lot.

Thing is I'm thinking in buying a laptop with Linux, and just wondering if there is any certain laptop working best with Linux?

If there is none, what is the best cheap laptop in general?

Any answer is appreciated.

it all depends what you need

Linux fits most of all the actual configuration. You have to know that linux is the best OS you can find. But it does not make any miracles. If you have enough money you can by a high spec machine and install powerfull distros like opensuse, debian, etc. But if you have a limited budget use lightweight distros like peppermint , zenix , puppy, arch, etc. Hope helps

Grab a nice cheap old pre-dell Alienware if you have the cash - 1TB and all is good if you are gaming - Drop in Debian and you should have some nice flashy machine going there.

Just a thought :) If you like to show off a little.

Oh on that don't by a Dell version the customer service of Dell is shyte especially if you mess with the inner workings!

I think Linux can run on almost any laptop. I've been running it on my 5 year old Acer laptop (trust me this thing isn't too fast.) and it seems to run perfectly smooth can't complain at all.

My suggestion:

New -- a Lenovo on sale for around $400 with at least a two-core Pentium, 4GB RAM, 360GB hdd

Used -- look for a Free Geek or the like in your vicinity and try to find at least a Core2 Duo Dell with 2GB RAM for around $200; Compaq -- less than $200 or not at all

My current is about as old as I would go --

Machine: System: Dell product: Latitude D410
Mobo: Dell model: N/A Bios: Dell version: A05 date: 09/28/2005
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (nx sse sse2) clocked at 2000.00 MHz

Any luck, yet?

I installed Ubuntu on an older laptop of mine (2005 VAIO) and it ran smoothly..

I think as long as you aren't running something from the 1990s, you should be fine!

You might want to try to test out yet and buy yourself an old laptop that won't cost more than $200. You probably can just get some in ebay. Most newbies hop from distro to distro, so the laptop can be your guinea pig.

It really depends on how much you are willing to pay. I would suggest checking out newegg, they usually have good deals going on. Take a look at the IBM thinkpad t60. My friend is running linux on it and he hasnt had any problems, plus it is cheap.

Linux works with very low specs as compared to Windows. You can even run Linux with as little as 256Mb ram.

So if you are getting a laptop and planning to install Linux on it, for the purpose of surfing the net, then just about anything on the market is good enough. If you want to save money, just get a netbook. You can install Linux via a pendrive.

I would recommend Puppy Linux. It's just a little bit less than 120Mb in size and the latest distro Slacko Puppy 5.3.3 has got support for 3G modems. Here's the download link:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download Latest Release.htm

To put the Puppy Linux on a pendrive use Unetbootin which you can download from here:
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I used linux on an Hp probook and I know that I would just look elsewhere. I had more issues than I can remember. It was decent but I know that there are a lot better. If you weren't into games I would have said to not spend that much.

I run Puppy Linux on a pendrive from my Acer Aspire One just for surfing the Internet and it works fine.

Linux is a open source and freeware operating system so there is no specific laptop suitable for it. Linux runs good on any laptop and also it does not many problems of drivers and all that like in windows.

Linux is a open source and freeware operating system so there is no specific laptop suitable for it. Linux runs good on any laptop and also it does not many problems of drivers and all that like in windows.

True, only partly. With proprietary drivers, Linux will run into a small problem. That's mainly because producers of proprietary drivers are not that much into Linux. They just make the drivers to work with Windows. I am not saying that the drivers are not available for Linux. Just take a little bit of time to have one worked out that will run without problems.

its up to you what type of laptop you choose. linux can run on almost any type of laptop you want

Members online

Latest posts