Any changes to make in bootloader while switching distros?

FlammableRope38

Reaction score
Credits
I am using a dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows. However, I would like to switch from Ubuntu to PopOS, to try it out, while still maintaining Windows. It's my first time switching distros. So I was wondering was there any changes that I have to make to the bootloader before, during or after the installation of PopOS.

maybe try it live from a usb first , which doesn't involve any commitment if you don't like it ?

Main principle is - you can change bootloader only after you install something. Here you have two links for POP OS install - POP Install and POP Dual Boot With Windows. You can firstly install POP and then Windows. In Windows check Bootice soft, which you can find through Google.

a screenshot of your hd would be good using gParted.

If your Windows is ok , leave it there along with efi partition if you have it.

So basically a direct replacement from buntu to popOs should be Ok , i don't know off hand the difference in install size though.You 've also checked which architecture i guess 64 bit?The new install should also re-install grub. Once you've installed new popOs run
sudo update-grub, that will update it and it should include Windows.

For new installs dual boot Windows and linux i always used to install Windows first for 2 reasons :

1) you can do a disk sort out using Windows defrag
2) if you install Windows last its totally selfish , no regard to anything else awill affect boot menu.

a screenshot of your hd would be good using gParted.

If your Windows is ok , leave it there along with efi partition if you have it.

So basically a direct replacement from buntu to popOs should be Ok , i don't know off hand the difference in install size though.You 've also checked which architecture i guess 64 bit?The new install should also re-install grub. Once you've installed new popOs run
sudo update-grub, that will update it and it should include Windows.

For new installs dual boot Windows and linux i always used to install Windows first for 2 reasons :

1) you can do a disk sort out using Windows defrag
2) if you install Windows last its totally selfish , no regard to anything else awill affect boot menu.
Yes, agree, I remember - I also installed Windows on the second partitions - it was real nightmare. :mad:

If you don't see the option to boot into Windows after you install Pop OS open your terminal and run this cmd as root:

sudo update-grub

Let it finish and the next time you boot up you should have the option in Grub to go to Pop OS or Windows.

When you get a chance let us know how your fresh install went and how you like the look and feel of Pop OS.

I'm running Manjaro with the Gnome DE and I must say it's really nice.

After listening to the above good advice...

If you have remnants of your previous Linux OS, a nice GUI to resolve that will be known as 'grub-customizer'. It'll be in your default repos. So, if you install POP and still have like Ubuntu listed, you can just remove it from the menu. You can also do other things there, but that's not important at the moment.

Staff online