Any way to get Halo Master Chief collection from Steam working on fedora?

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
I like playing halo sometimes, I can give it up if it wont work, but does anyone know how to get it to work on linux?

This one?
According to ProtonDB it should work but I would have to buy it to try it.

I'll just buy it to see if I can get it running and get a refund if I don't like the game.

It works fairly well out of the box without having to worry about anything. The online matchmaking doesn't work though so you can only play the campaing or private matches with friends

Yeah it works for me am using Proton Experimental but I did add a launch option "DXVK_ASYNC=1" to get it to launch. Multiplayer doesn't seem to work since EAC fails to load then when you click on Multiplayer and then on a game type it refuses to let you in.

Install this it will gamemoded.
1. sudo dnf install gamemode (from a terminal)
2. systemctl --user status gamemoded.service --enable (from a terminal)
3. Right click on Halo and then select properties.
4. Under Launch options paste this.
Code:
gamemoderun DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command%
5. Then launch the game.
Also something else that will be useful on Fedora are Flatpaks, which is installed by default, by adding Flathub as a source you will have access to more Flatpaks. Open a terminal and run the following.
Code:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
Then run the following from a terminal.
Code:
flatpak install net.davidotek.pupgui2
It will install a graphical application that will allow you install alternative Proton versions if you want in the correct location that Steam will pick it up. The one that is used the most is ProtonGE, it is a fork of the Proton done by Valve but has extra tweaks in it. You can then just open it through your menu and then a graphical application will open, it's called ProtonUp-Qt. Afterwards you installed a ProtonGE or another you can restart Steam and then you can select it as alternative Proton version for a specific game or as your default Proton version under Steam Play

If you are interested information about your game you can install mangohud.
1. sudo dnf install mangohud
2. Right click on Halo and then go to properties.
3. Then add it to your launch options, so if you used my previous gamemoded launch options it will look like this now.
Code:
gamemoderun DXVK_ASYNC=1 mangohud %command%
Be sure to checkout this topic: Installing Games on Linux.

Last edited:
I'll just buy it to see if I can get it running and get a refund if I don't like the game.
wow thanks!! Yeah I tried to make it work in the past, but it kept getting stuck.

Last edited:
Yeah it works for me am using Proton Experimental but I did add a launch option "DXVK_ASYNC=1" to get it to launch. Multiplayer doesn't seem to work since EAC fails to load then when you click on Multiplayer and then on a game type it refuses to let you in.

Install this it will gamemoded.
1. sudo dnf install gamemode (from a terminal)
2. systemctl --user status gamemoded.service --enable (from a terminal)
3. Right click on Halo and then select properties.
4. Under Launch options paste this.
Code:
gamemoderun DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command%
5. Then launch the game.
Also something else that will be useful on Fedora are Flatpaks, which is installed by default, by adding Flathub as a source you will have access to more Flatpaks. Open a terminal and run the following.
Code:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
Then run the following from a terminal.
Code:
flatpak install net.davidotek.pupgui2
It will install a graphical application that will allow you install alternative Proton versions if you want in the correct location that Steam will pick it up. The one that is used the most is ProtonGE, it is a fork of the Proton done by Valve but has extra tweaks in it. You can then just open it through your menu and then a graphical application will open, it's called ProtonUp-Qt. Afterwards you installed a ProtonGE or another you can restart Steam and then you can select it as alternative Proton version for a specific game or as your default Proton version under Steam Play

If you are interested information about your game you can install mangohud.
1. sudo dnf install mangohud
2. Right click on Halo and then go to properties.
3. Then add it to your launch options, so if you used my previous gamemoded launch options it will look like this now.
Code:
gamemoderun DXVK_ASYNC=1 mangohud %command%
Be sure to checkout this topic: Installing Games on Linux.
Thanks!! i will give this a try!

I'm probably going to refund it, I played about an hour and I'm just not getting into it.

I'm probably going to refund it, I played about an hour and I'm just not getting into it.
Haha my man, cheesing the system. I do the same often, so far steam hasn't caught on yet. There is no rule as to how many games you can play for an hour then refund... but steam is run by people who want money so... I presume one of these days they will ban me for how many games I have bought and refunded.

There is no rule as to how many games you can play for an hour then refund.
You can refund any game as long as you are within 2 hours of gameplay and within 14 days, it's in their return policy :).

You can refund any game as long as you are within 2 hours of gameplay and within 14 days, it's in their return policy :).
Yes :D I am thankful for it.

Members online