Anyone else feel weird when they see unknown linux os's. Stuff like Zorin OS

I'm sure there are unknown distros I wouldn't install on my computer, but Zorin? It's like someone on Windows forum saying "Anyone else feels weird when they see unknowns os's. Stuff like Linux." ;)

No. Operating systems are tools.

What if you see an ordinary screwdriver at the hardware store, but the screwdriver handle is in zebra stripe colors? Would you "feel weird" seeing it? I would not. I would think "that's a funky lookin' screwdriver handle", but that's all. If I owned it, I would use it just like any other screwdriver.

The same is true for operating systems, including the various Linux distros I have encountered. They are tools, not teddy bears. Like tools, I just use 'em without much emotional consideration. If I had to choose an emotion to associate with operating systems, it might be frustration. Honestly, the target should be myself, not the OS. ;-)

If Zorin (in this case) is unknown to you there is still a lot to discover in Linux Land. Zorin is well established and that OS being unknown to you it only indicates there is lots to discover yet.

Enjoy your journey, have no fear the Power of GNU is with you. Give 'em all a try and you will see they are all the same, they're just different, that's all.

(This post is not confusing at all.)

Do you want to feel really weird?

Don't go here. You have been warned LOL.

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=links#new

There are hundreds more Linux distributions that are even less known, or many years old each one.

EDIT: I'm beginning to feel weird whenever I have to log into Windows. :O

With over 500 desktop Linux variance, there are many I haven't tried, but there are many I have tried over the years, I am testing a new one at the moment. It may seem weird to windows/mac users to have such a wide choice, but for most Linux users its normal.

Warning; Large SVG file

This is a Linux family tree - and by no means is it exhaustive. It also includes some defunct distros.

Linux_Distribution_Timeline_Dec._2020.svg

The beauty of Linux is the many Distros to choose from and try...either as a live session or a VM in Virtualbox.
m1212.gif

Been using Zorin since 2014, it's not weird. :)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Warning; Large SVG file

This is a Linux family tree - and by no means is it exhaustive. It also includes some defunct distros. ...
I was hoping it would be updated a bit six months after I last downloaded this picture from Wikipedia. A bunch of Arch-based things are missing: I can't find Garuda, and Manjaro's branch should have more space (BigLinux and Mabox at least). Also AntergOS was continued into EndeavourOS which has been at least three years. :)

True, and 'Der Doktor' Joe Kamprad, of Endeavour is also one of our Members.

Wizard

You can always go to - https://distrowatch.com/
They have a top 100 list on the right side of the web page - Zorin comes in at number 12 as of today anyway
Not everything is there..

I went there, and it had no information about Suicide Linux... :oops:

( A recent podcast talked about it, thus I looked at it.. It's a generic Debian system with a [modified] shell that deletes the system if you make any error. )

The size of the large SVG file @KGIII posted, and enough listening to podcasts where they mention things like Hanna Montana Linux (I have no idea what or who a Hanna Montana is) and other weird names, just made me give up trying to keep track. Besides that I see maybe two 'kids' a week asking how to spin their own distribution of Ubuntu on support sites.

I find it easier to think of them all as either GNU/Linux, a BSD system ... etc.. I'll look up more if I decide I may want to use it (or like Suicide Linux on the podcast; interested in what they're talking about and laughing about)

Hanna Montana is a cartoon show, dolls, and decals for backpacks and lunchboxes, for little girls.

You are now suitably edified.

Granddad Wizard

Hanna Montana is a cartoon show, dolls, and decals for backpacks and lunchboxes, for little girls.

Man... You made me look this up... (I've seen a lot of Hannah Montana memes on Reddit, some pretty creepy, so that didn't sound quite right.) You could be right, but I'm not sure.

As far as I know, it's a real live people show, one that they assure me is a sitcom. I dunno how funny it is, as I've only seen memes. I'm pretty sure it's not a cartoon. I suppose it might contain some cartoon elements, but I've never seen those in memes.

Hannah Montana was recorded in front of a live studio audience at Sunset Bronson Studios on Thursdays and Fridays.

I am not going to find episodes to see if there was any cartoon content. But, you'd have to draw REALLY fast for a cartoon to be filmed in front of a live studio audience.

I did a video search with the show's name. Those were all regular video and I didn't see any cartoons.

Whelp... That's the strangest thing I'm gonna search for today.

If anyone checks my browsing and search history, they're gonna have some questions. There are probably episodes on Disney+. I am not gonna go seek them out unless I really have to.

I can see it now...

The Missus: Why are you watching Hannah Montana videos?
Me: It's a Linux thing.

I was hoping it would be updated a bit six months after I last downloaded this picture from Wikipedia. A bunch of Arch-based things are missing: I can't find Garuda, and Manjaro's branch should have more space (BigLinux and Mabox at least). Also AntergOS was continued into EndeavourOS which has been at least three years. :)

It was updated but it's still by no means comprehensive. It was updated in January of 2023,

This is old, and relies solely on DistroWatch, but you can try it:

(From the looks of things, that's what was used to make said SVG files.)

Here's almost 300, but they stopped maintaining the list a couple of years ago:

I did find this link, and it is awesome. How about a list of "all" the specialized Linux distros. (I'm positive that it's not all of them, even without trying to verify it. LOL I'm sure they missed some.)

Still, that's a pretty sweet list of weird Linux distros.

In my quest to find a more updated list, I don't think I saw Endeavour listed on any of them.

@seymourskinner :-

Lololol!!! Man, you're new at this, aint'cha?

ZorinOS has been around for something like 14 years......first release was in 2009. I probably started using it around the same time as Wiz; outside of the 'Puppy' Linux "kennels", it 's one of the very, very few mainstream distros I've got any time for at all.....

You'll learn. It CAN be fun, too...!

Mike. ;)

Hanna Montana is a cartoon show, dolls, and decals for backpacks and lunchboxes, for little girls. [...]

Man... You made me look this up... (I've seen a lot of Hannah Montana memes on Reddit, some pretty creepy, so that didn't sound quite right.) You could be right, but I'm not sure.

As far as I know, it's a real live people show, one that they assure me is a sitcom. I dunno how funny it is, as I've only seen memes. I'm pretty sure it's not a cartoon. I suppose it might contain some cartoon elements, but I've never seen those in memes.

[...]
Children of the mid-1990s and their parents know Hannah Montana. Our youngest was within the age window and watched the show.

Hannah Montana was a scripted TV show with live actors. It was about the adventures of a girl who had to juggle dual lives. During the day she was a plain schoolgirl named Miley something. Other times she lived a secret life as the glamorous rock star Hannah Montana, but her classmates did not know. I "watched" it a few times to be with our children, but did not really pay attention beyond what I wrote here. (Most likely, I "watched" with them while I was working on a laptop.)

This was Miley Cyrus' breakout role for Disney and also a comeback for her father, Billy Ray Cyrus.

. . . . .

Related, but totally off topic, and better to ignore:

Two prisoners are on death row. The warden comes to ask them for their last requests. The first prisoner says, "Warden, all my life I've been a Billy Ray Cyrus fan. Before I die, I just gotta' hear Achy Breaky Heart one last time." The warden jots some notes on his clipboard.

The warden turns to the second prisoner and asks if he has a final request. The second prisoner looks over at the first prisoner and says, "Kill me first."

Not everything is there..
That is correct many Linux distros do not get put on Distrowatch for several reasons - the developer did not submit their distro - they do not have all the requirements to get posted, or they did not pay the $250 to bypass the waiting period

Members online

Latest posts