Anyone suffer from drug addiction and alcohol?

I'm going to NA Monday. I need help. How did you stop?

I have not had such problems, but I would advise to find a accountability person. Going to NA is a good start, that way you are not hiding it and feeling guilty about it. When you share your shame with those also dealing with the same problem, it's power becomes less. And find something to do you love in life, something that makes your drive towards that more than your drive to drugs.

I was in a spectacular automobile wreck (I was a passenger on a merry adventure involving drugs, alcohol, and very high speeds) and ended up smashing a bunch of bones, with the worst being a femur. Needless to say, I'm addicted to opiates.

I still have quite a bit of discomfort, but they give me Suboxone. I will be on Suboxone for the remainder of my life. It's safer than straight opiates and works well to manage any discomfort. I'm pretty much fully functional again, though that took a couple of years of recovery and physical therapy.

Other than that, I've done many things to excess but never reached the point of physical dependence. Drugs and alcohol have never really resulted in making my life unmanageable. I know many who weren't as fortunate and, for reasons of their own, ended up dependent on substances. I am aware that I'm just a fortunate statistical outlier.

Good luck with your attempt to abstain. From observation, it seems to really only work when you're ready for it to work. It doesn't seem to work well when they're forced into it.

Have an accountability buddy - someone you trust and go from there. All the best mate.

I have not had such problems, but I would advise to find a accountability person. Going to NA is a good start, that way you are not hiding it and feeling guilty about it. When you share your shame with those also dealing with the same problem, it's power becomes less. And find something to do you love in life, something that makes your drive towards that more than your drive to drugs.
Thanks

not sure about the concept of an accountability buddy, since most info i've read points that change occurs, when you accept responsibility for yourself and don't project responsibility onto someone else . So lets take the issue of being offended , if i said i don't like your green hair, it probably would have no impact if you don't have green hair. If i say something else it might touch a button, but at the end of the day you have a choice if you want to be offended or not. Certainly i have noted that a lot of the time what i perceive from others depends on my mood.

So maybe yo already took the first step by stating you have issues with drugs and drink.

Your free to post here and see if there is any imparting of Wisdom from us or not. Certainly i don't see anyone here judging you .

i don't have any addiction problems but i have had issues which took quite some time to get some sort of closure. I got there middle aged via clinical hypnotherapy - its not for everyone. Probably a start might be to look into distraction techniques , breaking up habits .

This thread is "open for business" again. Please visit the amended Terms and Conditions pinned at the top of Off Topic.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

That's true. I drink for social anxiety and to feel better. But it's temporary and a vicious cycle. If you don't drink already don't start.
That was kind of my issue too. I started drinking as a teen due to peer pressure, and kept it up since my home life sucked. Then addiction took over. I quit cold turkey after a doctor's visit revealed liver damage. The first couple of months without alcohol was so difficult. I refuse to have a drop now. I'm never going to that place again where I had to have a buzz on at all times.

I
That was kind of my issue too. I started drinking as a teen due to peer pressure, and kept it up since my home life sucked. Then addiction took over. I quit cold turkey after a doctor's visit revealed liver damage. The first couple of months without alcohol was so difficult. I refuse to have a drop now. I'm never going to that place again where I had to have a buzz on at all times.
I love you. Good shit dude!

Rachmani, how did the NA visit/s go? :)

Wizard

Zoom, of course (palm to forehead) - I had a concern that groups like NA, AA and the like would have their activities disrupted with COVID lockdowns, didn't even think of video conferencing - I am glad for that, for the people concerned.

I am basically of Andy's school of thought where alcohol is concerned. But that is not for everyone, people are like a set of fingerprints, no two sets alike. Some have to just stop.

Rachmani, I live a large part of my life by what I coined as "The Shitme Principle" a little over 24 years ago. In my description of its basics, I use a use of the word "moaning", which I picked up in England in 1988 (Andy will know it :)), which is used colloquially to mean "complain". In Australia we describe it as "whinging":

1. If something gives you the shits enough, you will do something positive about it
2. If you do not do something about it, it is not giving you the shits enough, so please stop moaning in my ear.

So since embracing that philosophy, whether it be alcohol, or a crummy job/employer, or living with PITA neighbours whose noise makes your life a misery, or just about anything else life throws at me, I am usually able to manage.

Works for me.

Cheers

Chris

Staff online

Members online