Anyone suffer from drug addiction and alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachmani3652

Credits
I'm going to NA Monday. I need help. How did you stop?

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
I have not had such problems, but I would advise to find a accountability person. Going to NA is a good start, that way you are not hiding it and feeling guilty about it. When you share your shame with those also dealing with the same problem, it's power becomes less. And find something to do you love in life, something that makes your drive towards that more than your drive to drugs.

KGIII

Credits
I was in a spectacular automobile wreck (I was a passenger on a merry adventure involving drugs, alcohol, and very high speeds) and ended up smashing a bunch of bones, with the worst being a femur. Needless to say, I'm addicted to opiates.

I still have quite a bit of discomfort, but they give me Suboxone. I will be on Suboxone for the remainder of my life. It's safer than straight opiates and works well to manage any discomfort. I'm pretty much fully functional again, though that took a couple of years of recovery and physical therapy.

Other than that, I've done many things to excess but never reached the point of physical dependence. Drugs and alcohol have never really resulted in making my life unmanageable. I know many who weren't as fortunate and, for reasons of their own, ended up dependent on substances. I am aware that I'm just a fortunate statistical outlier.

Good luck with your attempt to abstain. From observation, it seems to really only work when you're ready for it to work. It doesn't seem to work well when they're forced into it.

darry1966

Credits
Have an accountability buddy - someone you trust and go from there. All the best mate.

Rachmani3652

Credits
I have not had such problems, but I would advise to find a accountability person. Going to NA is a good start, that way you are not hiding it and feeling guilty about it. When you share your shame with those also dealing with the same problem, it's power becomes less. And find something to do you love in life, something that makes your drive towards that more than your drive to drugs.
Thanks

captain-sensible

Credits
not sure about the concept of an accountability buddy, since most info i've read points that change occurs, when you accept responsibility for yourself and don't project responsibility onto someone else . So lets take the issue of being offended , if i said i don't like your green hair, it probably would have no impact if you don't have green hair. If i say something else it might touch a button, but at the end of the day you have a choice if you want to be offended or not. Certainly i have noted that a lot of the time what i perceive from others depends on my mood.

So maybe yo already took the first step by stating you have issues with drugs and drink.

Your free to post here and see if there is any imparting of Wisdom from us or not. Certainly i don't see anyone here judging you .

captain-sensible

Credits
i don't have any addiction problems but i have had issues which took quite some time to get some sort of closure. I got there middle aged via clinical hypnotherapy - its not for everyone. Probably a start might be to look into distraction techniques , breaking up habits .

arochester

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Wanted to set some ground rules for the off-topic section. This section is for light hearted conversations that wouldn't belong in a linux-related section. If things get too serious or end up taking up moderators' time, then we'll get rid of it.. we're pretty lax around here, but this forum will likely have a tighter leash.
Source - https://www.linux.org/threads/off-topic-rules.23879/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts