Arch installation in VM

OK guys here we are again. The more I learn the more it is confusing.

Can you pls check the below screenshot and spot the difference between the two distros?

1. My main OS.
Screenshot at 2018-06-19 10-44-55.png

No any home partition but my home dir is mounted on separate mount point ( not on root mnt point)
This is by default since my installation.

2. Arch OS installed in VM.
Screenshot at 2018-06-19 10-47-13.png

During installation I didn't make a /home partition.
After installation I made a new user with this command:

Code:
useradd -m -g users charis
I gave it a passwd and so good so far.
I change to charis with :

Code:
su charis

didn't ask for a password.

but charis home dir included into the /root which I thing isj correct due to lack of /home partition.

My question is how Mint is providing a separate /home without /home partition?
Am I doing something wrong in Arch?
Do I need to do something more during user add?

In both screenshots, you do not have a /home partition... but in both cases you should have a /home "folder" where your user files should be stored. (That's regular users, not the root user.)

Before using su charis to "switch user".... I think you must have first created the user. The command useradd -m charis would have been a good way to do this as the -m option creates the /home/charis folder for your files. But then you would need to also create the password manually with passwd charis (and then enter, and re-enter the password) or else I don't think you will be able to log in. At least I was not able to log in without creating a password.

Everything with Arch is about doing this stuff manually.... it's that "training" you were looking for! :D

Cheers

Dear @atanere
I did all this staffs.
I create the user and then gave it a password
Twice for confirmation.
I did everything as you said.
After reboot log in as root and I change to charis as can you see in the screenshot.

Can I log in direct as user - as other distros do- or this is the only way.

Heheheh this is what I like !!!
As we said on board, you can get expirience only on hard way. :D:D:D

Can I log in direct as user - as other distros do- or this is the only way.
Yes, absolutely... you should be able to log in as "charis" and with the password you gave to the account. But you may need to make some other changes to give your "charis" user the power to use "sudo". But you don't have to do that either! I think if you are logged in as "charis" that you can use su command by itself and then give the root password and you will become root right away. Then, with the exit command, you will be back to "charis."

Heheheh this is what I like !!!
As we said on board, you can get expirience only on hard way. :D:D:D
Glad you're having fun! Yes, you are right... experience is the best teacher of all. And repetition... doing things over and over again helps to make it sink in and stay with you.

I made visudo changes already.
I set charis to ALL
everything is set, my only problem I don't know how to log in direct as charis
without root log in first after boot

I don't know how to log in direct as charis
without root log in first after boot
When you boot up the VM, it prompts first for login: and just enter charis instead of root. Then give the charis password. It should work! :D

Hahahahaha @atanere

Sometimes it is so obvious that I can’t realize it. Probably I’m thinking farther :D:p:rolleyes:
Thanks again dear sir.

Members online