Arch installation in VM

CptCharis

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody!!!

After so long time to install Arch Linux into my VM instead of running Live mode.
I get help from many tutorials such as...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-install-arch-linux-from-media-source.10382/

and..

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/575993-guide-installing-arch-linux-on-a-vmware-virtual-machine/

or the best tutorial that I found in my case,

but finally always after rebooting run again in Live mode.

Do any of you guys any better idea.

Thanks.

Hi Captain! Are you using VirtualBox? If yes, then I'd consider these: If you used a USB or DVD with the Arch .iso file... be sure to remove it! If you used the Arch .iso file to directly install into VirtualBox (via the Settings > Storage > IDE Controller) then you need to go back into that setting and now delete that IDE Controller. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Hi Captain! Are you using VirtualBox? If yes, then I'd consider these: If you used a USB or DVD with the Arch .iso file... be sure to remove it! If you used the Arch .iso file to directly install into VirtualBox (via the Settings > Storage > IDE Controller) then you need to go back into that setting and now delete that IDE Controller. Hope that helps.

Cheers

Hello @atanere

Yes sir, I use Virtlualbox.

So, you mean to delete this file:
Screenshot at 2018-06-13 18-24-13.png

after the installation, is that correct?

Yes, that's the one. You may need to "right-click" on it to remove, or maybe use the (-) button. But make it disappear, then you should be booting on the other one you see below: Arch.vdi.

@atanere

First attempt failed.
I will try to install it in a USB drive !!!

First attempt failed.
I will try to install it in a USB drive !!!
What failed? What happened when you deleted that IDE controller?

If you haven't deleted this Arch install.... you can probably start the Arch VM, but at the GRUB screen do not let it autostart. Instead, at the GRUB menu, choose "Boot from hard drive" (or however that is worded). The hard drive in this case is not your computer, but the Arch.vdi file which is your already installed Arch.

But deleting the IDE source should have made this work.... because that is the "live" distro that keeps starting. With it gone, the only thing left to boot is the full Arch install.

Cheers

But deleting the IDE source should have made this work.... because that is the "live" distro that keeps starting. With it gone, the only thing left to boot is the full Arch install.

Cheers

This is what I also belive.

So here my steps.

Start up Arch live into VM
( during distro is running VM is not allowing you to remove the ISO file.)

I complete installation.

I shut down Arch at the end of installation- in order to have time for remove the ISO file from VM.

And then I start it up again

But unfortunately it start up as live mode again

I started (but did not finish) creating a new Arch VM... and I spotted this possibility: When I made the IDE Controller from the .iso file, there were 2 options (a circle with a + sign, and a square with a + sign). The difference is that the circle is an "optical drive" and the square is a "hard drive". With past installations, I have always picked the "optical drive" so that the installation simulates using a DVD. It is then easily remove from VirtualBox, just as easily as physically removing a DVD if one were used. But if you picked the "hard drive" as the IDE Controller, maybe this is what is causing the mixup. Just a guess!

I will go ahead and finish doing a full Arch install into VirtualBox using these instructions. I see that they say to just Start the new machine and then it prompts you for the install .iso file.... this is different from how I've done it before by choosing the IDE controller manually, but I think the results would still be the same.

Will report more if I find any problems.

Cheers

Yes, it was the same using the prompt to choose the install .iso as it was when configured manually. The full install following the instructions went fine, but you have to adapt at a couple of points: create all 3 partitions with cfdisk as ext4... it only describes creating 2 of them, and you'll need to modify your own locale and timezone info.

After rebooting, it was still the live version GRUB, so you'd need to arrow down to choose booting on hard disk OS, and it goes to the newly created Arch. I then went back into Settings > Storage > IDE Controller and deleted the .iso file by right-clicking and telling it to remove attachment. Then it boots straight to the full Arch install and live mode is gone.

Hope that gets you going!

Cheers

Thank you dear @atanere

As usual you are always correct.

Problem solved.

Thanks a lot.

Screenshot at 2018-06-17 18-15-17.png

Here it is, fully installed with DE
but I have say that I don't like it :D:D:rolleyes:
maybe is Plasma 5 IDK, will check more environments.

Thank you dear @atanere
As usual you are always correct.
Problem solved.
Thanks a lot.

I'm glad you've got it resolved now! But you are too kind... I am FAR from always correct! :confused::eek::D That Wizard friend of ours has caught my errors many times (as have other folks here too), and I'm very grateful for it. I am also still learning and benefit much from the time I spend here.

Cheers

Here it is, fully installed with DE
but I have say that I don't like it :D:D:rolleyes:

Ah Captain... I have to say also that I am not a fan of Arch (so far). I understand the benefit of building the system up from scratch, but it is so much work to do that! (And I often like to take the easy or lazy way when I can.) Besides the base install into a VM yesterday, I have another Arch VM base + MATE desktop that I installed some while back. It's "okay"... but it just seems so boring when compared to other well-developed distros. On my VirtualBox, I also have Manjaro, Anarchy, and Bluestar Linux... all Arch-based. And I like all of them better because of the fine packaging and ease-of-installation that they have achieved.

I've never been a fan of KDE either, but that's just me as I know that many people love it. But Bluestar Linux has really created a very nice desktop with KDE. I've seen a few other distros lately also with very nice KDE desktops, but KDE always seems just a bit sluggish on all of my computers, even with up to 8GB of RAM.

The wonderful thing about Linux is there is something for just about everyone! :D:D

Cheers

Glad Stan got you sorted, Capta ... more power to both of you :p:p

Couldn't agree MORE with what Stan has said just above.

I am working on a MATE desktop of Arch under the host of Swagarch, VM, but I have not put much time into it so far.

Have a good Linux day, all ;)

Wiz

I’m pretty sure that KDE is what I don’t like, that’s why I will try some more DE just to be sure.

Anyway the reason I try to install Arch Linux and do all this manual configurations is for training reasons.
I’m not running any project - or I don’t know how to do a project - so I’m trying through this task to learn and understand more things about Linux OS.

Anyway the reason I try to install Arch Linux and do all this manual configurations is for training reasons.
Yes, it is a good education... I get that too! Most of us Linux users don't need to get that much knowledge though! :eek::D The Arch Wiki is a great source of detailed information, but I struggle to understand it whenever I visit there. :confused::D

If you master Arch (or Gentoo Linux) and want even more training, you might consider Linux From Scratch also. It certainly gets down to the nuts and bolts of building a Linux system. Perhaps your future holds the creation of a new distro... "Charnix" maybe?!?!? I would not be surprised if you get that far, Captain! I do admire your determination! Good luck!

Cheers

If you master Arch (or Gentoo Linux) and want even more training, you might consider Linux From Scratch also.

Perhaps your future holds the creation of a new distro... "Charnix" maybe?!?!?

Cheers

Hahahah yeap sure, in the future.

I have visit already Linux from scratch, it was and I found it quite complicate for me!

Maybe later!

Thanks a lot

Members online