Arch on virtualbox - Installation failed!

superboy2k6

Reaction score
Credits
I followed the arch wiki and this video:
But I couldn't install arch wiki because after booting it goes to the grub command line. I tried it again and again but it still doesn't work. Is there any solution to this or is this video fake?

Did you see the Comment that said
This could have been perfect if you covered how to install a desktop environment but its still great.

Does it only take you so far?...

There are other videos on Youtube.

There are other videos that I have checked but the grub command line error is still present. I tried it on VMWare but still no luck. Can you write down a guide to complete this?

This thread using VirtualBox may help. Read it through, and check out the links.

Cheers

Last edited:
By: Mike at: 2019-10-30 18:44:42

I installed this arch 4 times and it isn't working. It always boots into GRUB. I've done everything correctly, every command was listed as "successful" or "done" so it may be a problem with this particular version of Arch --- I don't know -- but something isn't right. It always boots into GRUB!!!!!!! What the hell!!!!

Is that you @superboy2k6 ? And welcome to linux.org :)

I SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED ARCH LINUX!!!

I figured this out on my own by just modifying the command "pacstrap /mnt base base-devel" to "pacstrap /mnt base base-devel linux linux-firmware"!!

This thread using VirtualBox may help. Read it through, and check out the links.
Thanks for showing that thread atanere!
And wizardfromoz, no I am not Mike :p

That's great news, Superboy :) - goodonyer !

Two articles you may find use for are

Post-installation https://www.ostechnix.com/arch-linux-2016-post-installation/

and

Desktop Environment https://www.ostechnix.com/install-deepin-desktop-environment-arch-linux/

A note on the DE (desktop environment) one - it focuses on Deepin, but MATE, Cinnamon, Xfce and KDE are perhaps better starting points.

You can get an idea on desktops with this

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

Once you have your software sources synchronised, if you want to see if Arch has a particular DE "in stock" try

Code:
pacman -Qi cinnamon

#or

pacman -Qi mate

# etcetera

... and the output will tell you if it is available.

Each DE will bring with it a certain amount of installed software, but be aware that for the rest of "populating" your system with software eg productivity suite (Libre Office or other) &c, it is a case of installing it yourself - very BIY/DIY, is our Arch :)

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Thanks, wizardfromoz. I was planning to add a DE after I messed with the command line interface of the system. I will learn a few commands and then add everything.

Avagudweegend to you too.

Nice !

Code:
# pacstrap /mnt base linux linux-firmware

Let's be a little bit pedantic for the record :

This command basically chroot to the first argument and install packages here.
The packages installed are the remaining parameters.

Adding "linux-firmaware" in the command simply makes the "linux-firmware" package to be installed.
There's a chance that your video driver requires some firmware and this is the reason why it fixed the problem.

So if one needs specific packages to be installed in order to have his system to boot, he can add them to this command.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts