Are VPNs really anonymous?

donaldcdonovan

Reaction score
Credits
serious looking for some things very interesting about VPN. anybody can explain and steps to use it

Remember that your VPN provider will always know who you are, or at least, your IP address. And your ISP will know too. So if, say, you're trying to commit a crime, using the VPN, and law enforcement gets involved, they can (in the US it would require a court order) go to the VPN provider and ask them who you are. “It was from this IP address, going to that site on the other date/time. Who was it.” And they'll probably tell them.

The VPN will "anonymize" you to the sites or addresses you visit after connecting to the VPN.
The VPN provider (whether self hosted or otherwise) will know the IP address of whoever is connected to it. They may or may not know the identity of the user depending on how the service was set up.

After connecting to the VPN an encrypted tunnel should be created between the user and the VPN. This encrypts the traffic and obfuscates where the request came from and where it is going to. But the VPN provider knows exactly where the request came from and where it is going to. Thus many users are concerned about how much logging a VPN provider may do and how long the logs may be kept.

To be "anonymous" on the internet is virtually impossible or at the very least very difficult.
A VPN is one small piece of the puzzle and can help in avoiding "trackers" and location awareness. But there are many other measures one must undertake to achieve any degree of privacy or a modicum of 'anonymity'.

I use PIA as they offer no-log. They are one of the top rated VPN services and I have been using them for many years now

There are several vpn.(Nord,Pure,Cyberghost,Express etc.)
Of course, it is also useful to use.But using these VPNs does not make us completely anonymous.

I use PIA as they offer no-log. They are one of the top rated VPN services and I have been using them for many years now
That is one of the reasons I use them also. Their "no log" policy has been tested in court several times.
That being said - anyone relying on the 'anonymity' of a VPN to protect themselves is sorely misinformed and should educate themselves.

And as regards "no log" policies - the policy is only as good as the company issuing it.
Privacy is one thing.
Anonymity is another.
Hiding your tracks is a third!
It requires a 'multi-layered' approach depending on the desired result.

Some interesting reading:

P.S. PIA was recently purchased by another company. There was much concern regarding this purchase and the affect it may have on their privacy policies. I have not seen any thing detrimental - yet.

you can use a VPN, then Tor Browser with Proxy to really go over the top, but that's too much. I just use VPN and it's more than enough for me. I am too busy trying to configure my Arch system lol

Thanks for the reply guys. I learnt all about the vpns these days and found some good posts where it is explained clearly also some of the good vpns I can tell are these
Let me know any good vpns other than these

It's not much good pointing to a website about the 6 best VPN for Windows :rolleyes:

This is a Linux Forum!

Thanks for the reply guys. I learnt all about the vpns these days and found some good posts where it is explained clearly also some of the good vpns I can tell are these
My friend,If you want to remain anonymous, you can start by using linux first.;)

you can use a VPN, then Tor Browser with Proxy to really go over the top, but that's too much. I just use VPN and it's more than enough for me. I am too busy trying to configure my Arch system lol
Tor Browser gives a false sense of security. Onion routers can and have been compromised, usually without the user knowing or noticing.
Using Tor is fine - as long as the user is fully aware of the limitations.

I agree - it becomes a bit too much (for my use case).

Tor Browser gives a false sense of security. Onion routers can and have been compromised, usually without the user knowing or noticing.
Using Tor is fine - as long as the user is fully aware of the limitations.

I agree - it becomes a bit too much (for my use case).

I mean of course there's limitation, but if someone wants to truly be hidden, they would need a lot of work to do so. probably run multiple VPNs in additions proxies. Don't use Google or Bing , not even sure if DDG would be a good search. I personally use Bing since I don't care plus get points. Also I switched to Gibiru as well for a private search

I would be 'wary' of random review sites and treat them with a 'healthy dose' of skepticism.

TorrentFreak has been updating a pretty good running comparison of various VPN provider's logging policies.

I mean of course there's limitation, but if someone wants to truly be hidden, they would need a lot of work to do so. probably run multiple VPNs in additions proxies. Don't use Google or Bing , not even sure if DDG would be a good search. I personally use Bing since I don't care plus get points. Also I switched to Gibiru as well for a private search
Oh I agree 100% ! It all depends on a persons use case scenario and what is at risk.
A VPN is good, Tor is good, etc. if all a person wants to do is hide their usage from the casual observer
and avoid the Tech companies and marketers tracking and dossier building. But to be truly anonymous requires a great deal of effort and 'tech savvy'. The slightest little slip up can reveal the 'man behind the curtain'. Take Ross Ulbricht as an example!

not if you use windows or log in your personal accounts l:p

Members online