Are we suffering attempted DDoS attacks.

I log out by my 7PM each night to cook the evening meal, and am in bed two hours later.
that doesn't leave much time for a few tinnie's before bed.

IX0LgkU.gif

Its nearly 8 pm careful or you will turn into a pumpkin

No daylight saving in my state of Queensland. Brian - UTC+10 7PM.

Nitey nite.

I'm glad its a popular name on here

We also have more folks from Maine than our population would dictate. Probably... That's based on my observations and not math as I don't know where everyone comes from. As far as *active users*, it's definitely a higher percentage than our population would suggest.

I've had a few problems too...seems to be the norm now.
m09009.gif

Since my previous post that indicated an outage, I haven't suffered an outage since.

It's a CDN so locality shouldn't matter too much. Hmm...

It's a CDN so locality shouldn't matter too much. Hmm...
That gives pause for thought.....
I was pretty much offline in that time period, assuming you posted as soon as you were able.
Is there any chance your local provider was having a fall over ?...or whatever they have ?

Is there any chance your local provider was having a fall over ?...or whatever they have ?

Nope. It'd be a completely different error and not a CF error. The CF error indicates it's not on my end. The error page they show mentions this. It has three icon things, one indicates you and your connection as good, the other indicates CF is working, and the final one indicates that it's the site that's down (or not connected, really).

This should work for public viewing.

It opens the page and checks for "Register". If it can't find that, it marks the site as down (after a period of time). The monitor just started, so it'll be at 100% until the first outage occurs. I'm 99% sure that the error page doesn't include the word "Register" (case sensitive), so this should work to monitor the site's uptime.

And, it's just a tiny ping, using negligible bandwidth.

It's early days but the uptime monitor is working nicely. The uptime is dropping and likely will continue. I wouldn't consider it all that accurate until at least a month has passed.

What we can see from the monitor is that there's a lot of small downtime events. So far, none of them are very long, but there are a bunch of small outages.

We also have more folks from Maine than our population would dictate. Probably... That's based on my observations and not math as I don't know where everyone comes from. As far as *active users*, it's definitely a higher percentage than our population would suggest.

Stan and I are from Chicago (although many people have honestly thought I'm from London), while @wizardfromoz and @Condobloke are from Australia (Condobloke hails from New England High Country). I wonder if those who are orchestrating these attacks are spoofing their IP addresses to avoid detection?

I wonder if those who are orchestrating these attacks are spoofing their IP addresses to avoid detection?

I don't have access to IP addresses.

It also doesn't appear that we're under any concentrated attacks. The outages are all short and inconsistent.

I set up an uptime monitor to watch this. The link is in one of the earlier posts. Uptime monitors are pretty useful tools, for more than just bragging rights. You can't learn much from it yet, but you can see that all the outages are just small outages, lasting a minute or less - with a fairly small margin of error (it only checks every minute).

This is fast becoming a right royal pain in the arse.

1665888129595.png

Maybe if every time either this or a ddos error 502 bad gateway is presented each and every member reports it.

Get the message.

Something needs to be done. Never mind the bs she'll be right mate.

Perhaps when guests/members begin to leave this site, the penny will drop.

View attachment 13688
Maybe if every time either this or a ddos error 502 bad gateway is presented each and every member reports it.

Get the message.

Yeah just when I think the problems are fixed...back they come and it's a shame as this is a good site but members can only take so much.
mad0016.gif
mad0235.gif

View attachment 13688

Get the message.

Yeah just when I think the problems are fixed...back they come and it's a shame as this is a good site but members can only take so much.
mad0016.gif
mad0235.gif
Medical marijuana. :p :D ;)

had a few this morning, and a short power cut:mad:

Yep I had a few this morning and yep it's a PITA oh well. (shrug)

We're already down to 99.7%.

If we do some quick math... This currently translates to outages of:

Daily: 4m 19s
Weekly: 30m 14s
Monthly: 2h 11m 29s
Quarterly: 6h 34m 27s
Yearly: 1d 2h 17m 50s

There's a margin of error, as the uptime monitor only checks once a minute. (You don't want it constantly pinging the server.) When it detects an error, I think it then checks every 30 seconds to see if the site has resumed responding.

So, my more-or-less educated guess is there's something at the server side that's dropping the connections. As this is a leased server/VPS (I believe, I know it's not being run out of @Rob's basement), there's not a whole lot our Dear Leader Admin can do about it other than yell at his hosting company, perhaps using the uptime monitor to show that they're not hitting their SLA (assuming he has a contract that stipulates a minimum amount of downtime, which many do).

It appears that we're back online. It also appears that we lost a little data. Crap happens...

I didn't think of it early enough. I stopped the monitor, 'cause it was intentional downtime. I didn't think of it for an hour and a half. That'll mess the numbers all up and it's not really fair to count maintenance downtime against the site.

So, I'll have to reset the numbers. I'll wait to see if Rob's done working on things and start it again from the top.

Members online