Are we suffering attempted DDoS attacks.

I like #199.

David G. @KGIII is special, he lives in Maine.

Mind you, so does another Dave @kc1di - how are you doing, Dave?

Hi Wiz, thanks for asking. Dave G KGIII Lives up in the frozen North county of western Maine :) I live in the balmy south western region near the coast so It's much warmer most of the time down here Haha. I've been doing ok, just of late my back has been a pain and required several trips to the Doctor but it's on the mend I think. Have a good day.

This site has way too many Daves/Davids.

and again....and again....

1660963963591.png

It's real bad right now.

Attachments

• 1660968176958.png
    1660968176958.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 184
It was bad most of my morning...it is now 2pm here and appears to have subsided....although the guest numbers are still high right now

1660968896145.png

Mind you, so does another Dave @kc1di - how are you doing, Dave?

Actually, I meant with the 502 errors, ya bozo :)
... Although it's good to hear about your health, of course.

This site has way too many Daves/Davids.

Back around 1978 I worked in a medium-sized office and there were 4 other Chris'es (one female).

@Rob any news on the Cloudflare situation? I too, am having problems.

TIA

Wiz

For the last week or so I have been getting 502's again several times a day, there has not been any excess of visitors and it only last for a minute or so each time.

Ditto here

No great increase in visitors....lasts just long enough to tick me off and send me elsewhere

can say the same thing here. though did not notice it yesterday.

I saw it twice in the past week. There are any number of reasons that'd end up with that error, so I never worry about it unless it's a frequent thing over the span of hours. Servers get busy, network connections get dropped, firewalls get overwhelmed, stuff gets rebooted, etc...

So, I don't stress it. Well, I stress it when it's my stuff. LOL I was pristine uptime for my stuff.

I saw it twice in the past week. There are any number of reasons that'd end up with that error, so I never worry about it unless it's a frequent thing over the span of hours. Servers get busy, network connections get dropped, firewalls get overwhelmed, stuff gets rebooted, etc...

So, I don't stress it. Well, I stress it when it's my stuff. LOL I was pristine uptime for my stuff.

I only ask this as someone who has a very basic-user level of internet security (importance of HTTPS, importance of passwords, not trusting any stranger who calls you, reasonable administrative tiers, sudo, etc.), why do you feel comfortable about sharing that information online? I would think someone who might want to harm your web projects would think "oh, it's already overburdened! I just need to tip the scales a little to get the info, heeheehee!"

I would think someone who might want to harm your web projects would think "oh, it's already overburdened! I just need to tip the scales a little to get the info, heeheehee!"

Anyone interested in doing that would just rent out a DDOS botnet and do it. Every single site on the planet has these things happen. Even the major sites go down, often for hours. That and we have DDOS mitigation that can be turned on at a moment's notice.

Even *I* have DDOS mitigation in place, though I leave it turned on 'cause I don't have to do the browser inspection thing. It's all behind the scenes.

So, there's no information that's private. None of the above is going to help an attacker. They already understand how the internet works. You shouldn't be mad when the internet/site breaks. You should be amazed that it works as well as it does. It's a whole lot of money if you want a truly robust system, and even those go down from time to time.

I'd be more concerned with spammers, but we have pretty solid defenses against spam - which is a good thing, 'cause you would be amazed at how many spammers we thwart on busy days. Though, we haven't really had a ton of spammers trying to get in lately. Maybe they've given up?

Even the major sites go down, often for hours
you may not consider it a majour site, but parrot forums was down for two and a half days this week

Anyone interested in doing that would just rent out a DDOS botnet and do it. Every single site on the planet has these things happen. Even the major sites go down, often for hours. That and we have DDOS mitigation that can be turned on at a moment's notice.

Even *I* have DDOS mitigation in place, though I leave it turned on 'cause I don't have to do the browser inspection thing. It's all behind the scenes.

So, there's no information that's private. None of the above is going to help an attacker. They already understand how the internet works. You shouldn't be mad when the internet/site breaks. You should be amazed that it works as well as it does. It's a whole lot of money if you want a truly robust system, and even those go down from time to time.

I'd be more concerned with spammers, but we have pretty solid defenses against spam - which is a good thing, 'cause you would be amazed at how many spammers we thwart on busy days. Though, we haven't really had a ton of spammers trying to get in lately. Maybe they've given up?
Oh really?! Well, KGIII (rhymes with something RATHER SUSPICIOUS), i'm going to need your email address and password to verify the security of all your domains, because you are the greatest threat to your security ;)

Staff online

Members online