Aspire problems again

B

bashcommando

Well I bet some of you peoples remember my Aspire 5720Z. If you don't, its a 7 year old laptop that I kept dropping and it kept on working for me <3. Until recently when I dropped it, the hard drive was no longer bootable. Which was kind of weird, I would have expected it to break. But nope, being itself it stayed together. But about the hard drive, how do I fix it? Gdisk or Gparted can read it, but can't modify it in any way. Completely weird, my mint install still seems to be there but it just won't boot or modify. Ideas?

I would boot off a live disk and check the S.M.A.R.T status. Maybe fsck and run badblocks for sure.

Can you boot off a live disk and bypass the Hard Drive altogether?

It sounds like your Hard Drive might be bust (?) .

There is a difference between booting from an External Drive (not using your Hard Drive) and plugging in an External Drive (using your Hard Drive). If you can boot off a live disk (not using your Hard Drive) can you now, additionally, plug in and use an external Hard Drive) . If you can do that you should be able to save data from your Laptop Hard Drive to the External Hard Drive.

...You might need to exchange your (non-working) Laptop Hard Drive for one that works...

Members online