Attempting to mount and unmount devices on openSUSE Leap 15.0.

russell1

Reaction score
Credits
I am attempting to mount and unmount devices on my VirtualBox openSUSE Leap 15.0 Linux virtual machine, using the "mount" and "umount" commands respectively. What I have found through Internet searches has not been successful up to this point. In particular, I would like to be able to unmount the "/dev/sda2" device on all of the directories it is associated with. On all of those directories, "/dev/sda2" is currently configured as read-only ( i.e., "ro" ), but I would like to unmount this device and mount it as read-write ( i.e., "rw" ) on all of those directories. Screenshots of the "df" command output and the "mount" command output are included as attachments for your consideration. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• VirtualBox_OPenSuse_20_05_2023_17_28_53_df_1.png
    VirtualBox_OPenSuse_20_05_2023_17_28_53_df_1.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 142
  • VirtualBox_OPenSuse_20_05_2023_13_04_45_mount_1.png
    VirtualBox_OPenSuse_20_05_2023_13_04_45_mount_1.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 120

Doesn't look like the machine can work because root is 100% full as well as the rest of the filesystem that it needs to work with except /home. The root partition will usually work well up to around 90% full, but as space used on its partition increases, it's functioning ability decreases at some pinch point.

In a real machine for ordinary computer use (e.g. browsing, email, word processing, graphics etc) one doesn't really need all those partitions. Often just a root and home partition suffice, (with EFI and swap partitions or a bios_boot partition if applicable), or even just the single root partition that has /home within it will do. One would think multiple partitions are even less useful for ordinary computing in a virtual machine. If however one is experimenting with, for example, having, say, a separate small /var partition to see how it affects the functioning of a system, that's a different case.

Osprey, is there any way to salvage my openSUSE virtual machine, or will I have to start over? This morning, while attempting to increase the size of the ".vdi" file, the "Attributes" tab ( under the Virtual Media Manager option ) in VirtualBox 7.0 is greyed out. A few attachments have been included for your consideration. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• tempsnip_openSUSE_vdi_1.png
    tempsnip_openSUSE_vdi_1.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 113
  • VirtualBox_OPenSuse_21_05_2023_12_10_42_mount_not_allowed_1.png
    VirtualBox_OPenSuse_21_05_2023_12_10_42_mount_not_allowed_1.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 129
As I understand it, btrfs has some good tools for modifying partitions, but unfortunately I have no experience with it. VirtualBox is also foreign to me, since I use KVM. I guess the choice you have is hitting a learning curve in relation to how btrfs can help you with the current arrangement, or begin again with an eye to a less vulnerable partitioning arrangement.

Staff online