Audacity installation not going well

Billtour

Reaction score
Credits
Audacity Screenshot_2020-11-15_15-13-44.png

I think I did something wrong. I expected Audscity to install itself from the Linux Lite Package Manager. I found it there and selected everything you see here, but it did not install and I see nothing in my Download folder. I don't know where stuff went that appeared to download and I think I downloaded more than I needed. Please help. Thx.

Yeah, you don't need the last two things. (I use Audacity quite frequently.)

What happens in the terminal if you enter 'sudo apt install audacity'?

If you don't have your heart set on Audacity, there's also 'ocenaudio' that's really similar and has a .deb available.

@Billtour for future reference, all you needed to do was check the top entry audacity and install it. It will install what it needs from the rest.

Wizard

View attachment 7782
I think I did something wrong. I expected Audscity to install itself from the Linux Lite Package Manager. I found it there and selected everything you see here, but it did not install and I see nothing in my Download folder. I don't know where stuff went that appeared to download and I think I downloaded more than I needed. Please help. Thx.
When using Synaptic Package Manager the software packages marked for installation will not show up in your Downloads folder. The packages will be installed by placing the software bits and pieces in the appropriate locations.

Have you checked your Applications Menu and verified that the package did not install? Perhaps it is just missing an icon in the menu?

Perhaps try running
Code:
dpkg -s audacity
from a Terminal.
I don't use Linux Lite so am not sure if "dpkg" is present but it should be.

It sounds to me like the OP managed to install it just fine, (Plus some packages they don’t need!) but is unable to locate it.

I’m unfamiliar with Linux lite, but it should appear somewhere in the application menu.

Looking at some screenshots of Linux lite - it uses the standard, traditional, cascading "Debian" menu - so audacity should be in the multimedia category. There should be an icon for it in there.
So to run audacity click:
menu -> multimedia -> audacity

If there’s no icon - it could still be installed, but a bug could have caused the menu to fail to update. Not sure offhand how to fix that, if that’s what is causing the problem.

To check whether it installed simply use the command:
Bash:
apt policy audacity

And to find where it’s installed:
Bash:
which audacity

Lower left hand corner open the menu and find the search bar and type audacity then press enter if needed.

Audacity is not anyplace the menu. I found a file called "Audacity" in the bin folder and Audacity started up. So, I created a folder and copied that file to it so that I can find it later.

Members online