Australia - The Land Down Under

No stopping Bill Treichel, 95, as he paints Australian outback landscapes onto bottle tops​

I reckon the work of art, is Bill himself. What a top bloke!

1670647959060.png

1670647983390.png

My wife and I went to Australia for our honeymoon. We spent about 5 days in Cairns, then spent another couple weeks in Tasmania. Just a beautiful place! We hiked around the lake on Cradle Mountain. The whole area looked as I imagine the whole world might have around 200 million years ago. I thought a dinosaur might raise its head over the trees at any moment.

From Rooty Hill (NSW, Australia) and Moscow to the Winter Olympics, Harley and Katya made their mark in figure skating — but then it all fell apart​

They'd qualified for the Olympics, but Katya still hadn't received her citizenship.

Australian Olympic Committee president Matt Carroll wrote to the Immigration Minister with a letter of support. The minister used their discretion to approve the application.

1670889462294.png

1670889507598.png

1670889638525.png

I watched this last night, as it happens, on the TV - it was an engrossing story - no Spoiler, but well worth the viewing.:)

There's so much to see!
Australia is a huge place....to see it properly can take years. I was born here, and although I have seen a great deal of it, I still have not seen all there is to see !

If you have the time, the inclination , and the necessary income.....a camper van or similar is one way of doing it.

If you get the chance to chat to the grey nomads (retired people who actually live out of their caravans or camper vans full time and rarely, if ever, stop travelling......do so....they will talk to a post if they think it will answer back.....and their knowledge is priceless. They know more than google. (and they don't pilfer your data while they give it to you.)

It might cost you a case of stubbies, but you are assured of a good time.

Australia is a huge place....to see it properly can take years. I was born here, and although I have seen a great deal of it, I still have not seen all there is to see !

I think that's true for all but the smallest of countries. I've traveled extensively. For example, I've been in every state here in the US - and I've still not seen it all. Heck, I've seen a giant swath of the state I live in and still haven't seen it all.

I guess it's a little bit like science. If we knew everything, we'd stop doing science. Seeing as we're still using the scientific method, that means we don't know all it can teach us. I've traveled many of the roads here in my adopted state, but there are still so many more. I doubt I'll have time to drive 'em all.

Last edited:

Australia's earliest category 5 tropical cyclone in 13 years​

If you're in the area, bunker down. A cat 5 cyclone isn't anything to scoff at. A lot of your population is on the coasts, kinda like many other nations. That's something we're going to have to reconsider with rising sea levels.

.....and you thought the Floods in Australia were over ??....Far from it.

Riverland family waits out flooding, protected by makeshift levee around Gurra Gurra home​

1671673037580.png

1671673060668.png

1671673083276.png

1671673108234.png

1671830712711.png

In the image above, the sharp angle of the solar terminator (line between day and night) relative to the horizon is a clear sign of the summer solstice. In three months, on the date of the next equinox, the solar terminator will be running straight from north-to-south, sitting perpendicular to the equator.

Yesterday was our winter solstice, it was getting dark by 4-30 this afternoon

1671831539165.png

The long-awaited monsoon has officially arrived over northern Australia, supplying the sustaining rain that is critical to the northern flora and fauna.

The monsoon arrival means over the next week or two, the north will see frequent rain, showers, and thunderstorms. Initially, this will occur over the Top End (including Darwin) but will move further south to reach areas of the Kimberley and northern Queensland during the Christmas weekend.

The monsoon is critical to the climate of northern Australia, as its widespread rainfall heralds a transformation from a dry, red landscape to a lush oasis, filling lakes, dams, and wetlands.

The Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race,

rolexsydneyhobart.com
The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is an annual event hosted by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, starting in Sydney, New South Wales, on Boxing Day and finishing in Hobart, Tasmania. The race distance is approximately 630 nautical miles.Wikipedia
Founded:1945
Start:Sydney, Australia
Finish:Hobart, Australia

1671831850259.png

The weather charts for the start of the 2022 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race look almost identical to the charts in 2017, when maxi yacht Comanche set a record race time of 1 day, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 24 seconds.

Super fast conditions for Sydney to Hobart​

We're not declaring that the race record will be broken this year, but we can state with high confidence that the 111-strong fleet will sail downwind for at least the first day of the race, under the classic summer northeasterlies which are ideal for fast times.

Members online

Latest posts