Australia - The Land Down Under

Do you watch the posts on 'Australia-The Land Down Under' on a REGULAR basis?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

70 Tango Charlie

Credits
And no Australian year would be the same without The Queen's Christmas Message

View attachment 8099

and below The Queen, after recording her first televised Christmas broadcast in 1957....
View attachment 8100
I remember watching her on TV. I think it was her coronation ceremony though. She is a very stately Queen; a very good example to follow.
OG

Condobloke

Credits

Outback sewage truckers — an essential service, but not for the faint-hearted

It's exhilarating, as a passenger on a 36-metre pink road train, watching the world whiz by from up high in the cab of this gigantic truck.

Only, I'm trying not to think about how this will all end.

In roughly 1,260 kilometres we'll be surrounded by sewage, as far as the eye can see.

I've jumped aboard for an outback journey with a difference.

We'll be traversing what's believed to be the world's longest sewage run, across the Pilbara in Western Australia's remote north-west, with possibly the world's biggest germophobe.

Selfie photo with truck driver Heather Jones left and Karen Michelmore

ABC journalist Karen Michelmore jumped aboard Heather Jones' truck for an outback journey with a difference.(ABC Pilbara: Karen Michelmore)
Truck driver Heather Jones and her colleagues make the round trip from Karratha to Newman and back every two days.

With each run they remove up to 70,000 litres of excrement from the temporary workers' camps of Australia's iron ore mines which keep the national economy afloat.

"We're heading to Newman with our poo tankers, commonly referred to as 'turd herders', 'poo patrol', 'you dump it, we pump it'," Ms Jones says dryly.

Condobloke

Credits

Condobloke

Credits

Condobloke

Credits
and the moral of this story is......DO NOT drive in the Australian Outback without a satellite phone, an emergency beacon and adequate supplies. TELL someone (including the police) where you are going and by which route.
In other words, don't be a bloody deadhead

Condobloke

Credits

Condobloke

Credits

Condobloke

Credits

Members online

Latest posts