Australia - The Land Down Under

And....you thought you have it tough....this is not related to Australia.....but is indeed one of our closest neighbours.....

New Guinea

Papua New Guinea's hospitals are on the brink of collapse, with no money, limited supplies and patients in dire need​

6a3652b54ff1db444b107e9bbe54e0ad

Thirty-six-year-old Robin Balo is bleeding out.

His friend has two hands pushed against his thigh, trying to stem the flow of blood from his femoral artery.

His wife strokes his head, begging him not to die, as health workers run to set up a surgery.

Six weeks ago, Robin was pierced through the leg with an arrow.

Less than a month ago, this hospital had closed because of a lack of funding.

Two hours ago, there was no doctor on site.

Five minutes ago, Robin's artery dramatically burst open, spilling litres of bright red blood onto the pavement outside.

As the health team rushes to try to save him, a nurse casually says: "Welcome to Etep."

Please read on;

Last edited:

Australian Prime Minister, 1942

273829340_3901003253458188_5356333153620892626_n.jpg

273711121_3256941434553500_4536751274039640331_n.jpg

We need an emoji for

"hhmmm"?

r0_0_6000_3987_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Balfour Downs is an iconic Australian cattle station, back in Australian hands.

In Further news,

Buoyant season boosts sheep numbers
The national sheep flock is forecast to grow by 4.9% to 74.4 million head in 2022, the highest number since 2013. Meat & Livestock Australia’s latest Sheep Industry Projections come off the back of strong seasonal conditions and it is predicted the Australia-UK Free Trade Agreement will further strengthen Australia’s sheepmeat export industry.

Australia's human population is around 25 million.

1645155645325.png

Two properties will change hands in this deal
1) 1,065469.06372 acres
2) 501189.056496 acres

Around 634,000 hectares.

Kids there would have a decent size backyard......

Approx 12000 head of mainly Brahman & Droughtmaster included in the sale.

Man... And I thought I owned an embarrassingly large amount of property...

Your place may possibly fit in the house paddock of Balfour Station

My place would likely fit on their verandah !

LOL I own a whole lot of land. Without explaining it all, which takes some time and text, it's an embarrassingly large number of acres. Beyond my investments in property itself, I have a bunch of acres that my house sits on. It was an auction of land that used to belong to a paper company. I then own a commercial wild Maine blueberry operation a county over. I was later, more recently - about a half-decade ago - convinced to buy the farm across the road. Those acres work for me. Even on the plot where my house is, there's a small crew that cuts lumber and does TSI on the wooded areas. So, they all make at least enough to cover their own taxes.

So, I might own one the equivalent of one of their grazing lots or something.

Also, we are cutting down our bovine ownership because Hannaford and Oakhurst all suck. More than once have we had to dump perfectly good milk right onto the fricken ground. If any Mainers read this... Both of those companies can bite my arse.

Orange Creek Station.....one hours drive south of Alice Springs

Orange Creek Station celebrates green summer and makes hay with the sunshine​

What makes Orange Creek particularly innovative is Mr Klein's adoption of solar power; he installed a 100-kilowatt system at the homestead two years ago.

It runs pivot systems to grow their sorghum and lucerne.....which in turn is cut for hay to feed their cattle in their own feedlot

A fascinating story. Set in one of the dry areas of Australia.

Have a Read

How Brisbane EV-charger company Tritium made it to the White House, selling 'picks and shovels to the gold rush'​

8b2c25f4fc426a6251873276c0c530c9

Tritium could be the most important Australian company you've never heard of.

It was a White House announcement that came complete with stars, stripes and the US President in a sharp black suit: an Australian company was building a factory in Tennessee.

The beginning of an "American manufacturing comeback", Joe Biden told reporters on February 8, standing beside the Australian CEO in a rare show of support for a private company.

And what was the company at the centre of this announcement? Who had won the ear of the US President?

Tritium.

Back in Australia, the news created only a sluggish ripple of interest.

Tritium? Who the hell is Tritium?

'The biggest supplier to the smallest industry'​

Tritium has now sold more than 6,700 chargers to 41 countries and is the world's second-largest fast-charging company.

It has about 20 per cent of the European charging market, 16 per cent of the US, and 75 per cent of Australia and New Zealand.

Unlike petrol companies, its customers are not just service stations, but anywhere with the space to host a charger, from burger franchises to shopping centres to local councils.

Late last year, Hungry Jacks installed an EV charger in Victoria. The maker? Tritium.

That same month, in November, Ms Hunter told an Australian business conference that fuel retailers would soon face their own "Kodak moment" — a reference to the camera-film giant that went bankrupt with the switch to digital cameras.

What's the future of the humble servo?​

Electric vehicles are coming, and they don't need liquid fuel. That spells trouble for service stations.
A roadhouse with large forecourt against a big blue sky
Read more

The comments caused a stir, with fuel retailers bristling at the idea chargers would kill the bowser.

READ HERE

Gascoyne River starts to flow again and locals get creative to enjoy the rebirth of WA's longest rive​

Western Australia's longest river has started flowing after recent rain and locals have found some rather creative ways to enjoy the event.

For the first time in eight months the Gascoyne River started running this week, and Carnarvon resident Jaimie Moore saw it as the perfect opportunity to try out an idea he had been cooking up for years.

"My mate and I have had this idea for about three years now to cook a spit using the river," he said.
e14a05e4a28ee3f71aaba3aa3b3208a6

21f1c81ed34fcff0844a2790f5414a61

Jaimie Moore built a river-powered rotisserie to cook a roast.

Mr Moore from Moore Veggies in Carnarvon decided to make good use of a spare motorbike wheel and some parts found in the shed to create the river rotisserie.

"I used my spit pole, modified, and extended it," he said.

"Then I used form ply for some paddles and, in theory, I made a paddle wheel.

"Went down the river, threw it in the water, and she started spinning, so it was spot on."

8fed0de503ce6c2dd2e0dbfd55e1f2da

Karlston Parker, Leah Tittmus, Cedrica Darby, and Sylvannia Dingo are making the most of the flows.

1645766527577.png

There has been a tragic end to a Western Australian kidnapping saga involving a love-struck senior and his dementia-stricken partner.
Ralph Gibbs was killed in a car crash yesterday morning.
His death comes 48 hours after his love of 15 years Carol Lisle passed away in her sleep.

Members online

Latest posts